Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a HUGE newb. In fact, I ride with all mtb equipment, shorts, shoes, helmet. Except my bike, a c'dale R700.

I just got in from a solo ride, 25 miles, and I average 19mph. This wasn't too hard, just a good workout.

Am I in decent shape?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
BDubs said:
I'm a HUGE newb. In fact, I ride with all mtb equipment, shorts, shoes, helmet. Except my bike, a c'dale R700.

I just got in from a solo ride, 25 miles, and I average 19mph. This wasn't too hard, just a good workout.

Am I in decent shape?
i think you're off to a good start. a windy day even out and back can drop your average 2mph or so depending. So other factors come in, also hills. don't worry about mtb equipment, the helmets are the same (just remove the visor)

Last aug. i upgraded to CAT 3 and just recently I bought my first pair of road shoes and pedals. Yea, i got some looks at the start line for my MTB equipment but those looks fade quick when they get tossed off the back.

I would recommend getting some road shorts. The quality of pad is far superior. If you're a bit sheepish on the 'look' just put a shell short over them.

if you are looking to race, get the training bible.
i use the MTB one but figgure the stuff is pretty similar for road fitness too...

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Faster than me, slower than Lance. MB stuff is irrelevant

BDubs said:

Am I in decent shape?
It's fine, don't worry about it. Enjoy riding for now, do it as often as you feel like, and you'll probably get faster. Right now, I imagine you'd be hanging onto the back of the fast group or leading the slow group in most mass rides around here. Assuming equal courses, you're 4mph faster than I am (but then I'm 60 years old....).
The mountain bike stuff you mentioned has nothing to do with your speed, by the way. Some of us wear MB shorts and helmets for everything, because we like visors and don't like the Lycra look.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
19 mph is a very good average. Keep on keepin' on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I have a running backround and some mt. biking. I think I have a good frame for road riding. This place seems like a great resource.

Cheers
BDubs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts