Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this cheap hybrid online so I purchased it for a family member that wants to get into biking. It was cheap and I knew it would be damaged a bit. I'm just not sure how bad the damage is and if we should keep it or sell it back off again.

I figure some nail polish could fix the small chips. There are a few that worry me though.

Bicycle accessory Rim Metal Bicycle wheel rim Steel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Material property Steel Bicycle accessory Silver Carbon Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Black Electric blue Bicycle

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
I found this cheap hybrid online so I purchased it for a family member that wants to get into biking. It was cheap and I knew it would be damaged a bit. I'm just not sure how bad the damage is and if we should keep it or sell it back off again.

I figure some nail polish could fix the small chips. There are a few that worry me though.
What you are probably seeing is oxidation of the aluminum under the paint. It will likely spread - how fast will depend on local conditions. To stop it you would need to remove the paint and corrosion, then repaint. Just nail polish or touch-up paint would not be effective because of the aluminum oxide underneath.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks relatively minor. I would hit it with one of those little wire brushes on the Dremel. Remove any loose paint around the corroded spots and touch it up with some auto touch up paint. I get this on my aluminum boat all the time. It is not as bad as rust on steel but it will keep on corroding if you don't take care of it. Looks like a little rust on the seat clamp bolt also. I would go over the whole bike and look for signs of rust. A little Corrosion X and a little brushing will clean it up nicely.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
ride this into the sunset!

I was more curious about WHAT caused the damage you see around the seat post clamp. Frames are painted/coated so in order for oxidation to occur it must've been dinged/scratched. Perhaps some sort of accessory or repeat rubbing or mounting/dismounting?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Third picture down. What is that hole for? What part of the bike?

It looks to me that there could be a crack running from that hole to something over to the left side of the image?

Aluminum oxidizes. When it does, it tends to turn into a white powdery substance. It will bubble up paint and cause it to blister and peel.

You can sand it down and clean it up, then refinish it to try to slow down the pitting. Eventually though, it's going to be severe enough that you won't be able to trust the frame.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Third picture down. What is that hole for? What part of the bike?

It looks to me that there could be a crack running from that hole to something over to the left side of the image?

Aluminum oxidizes. When it does, it tends to turn into a white powdery substance. It will bubble up paint and cause it to blister and peel.

You can sand it down and clean it up, then refinish it to try to slow down the pitting. Eventually though, it's going to be severe enough that you won't be able to trust the frame.
Its not a carck. Just a bad chip and those lines are scratches. That other spot is another chip.

How long do you think before it causes trouble? It would be only ridden in good condition and probably kept in the house.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Impossible to say. It's your (or your family members) life on the line. If the pitting looks like it's compromising something important, or there are cracks developing, it's probably time to find a new bike/frame.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That isn't what he asked.

He asked...

sheepherder said:
How long do you think before it causes trouble?

My answer should have been a little more clear. I should have said "That's impossible for ME to know". My intention was to convey the thought that he/she shouldn't trust the judgement of people on the internet who are looking at blurry two dimensional pictures to know if the bike is safe to ride.

If the OP isn't 100% confident, they should probably have someone qualified in assessing these things help them assess the damage and risk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.