Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this Giga X Pipe Bottom Bracket missing a Seal (see photo)?

Hi.. bought a Truvativ Roulear Carbon Crankset the other day. Here is a pic of the Non-Drive Side of the Bottom Bracket. Is the Seal installed? Take a look at the pic below:

I am not sure because the seal on the Drive Side is all plastic, where this one has a metal center. The reason I am asking is because I somehow ended up with two Drive Side seals and I am not sure if I am missing the Non-Drive Side seal or if it came installed.

Anyone have a pic of the Non-Drive side of a Giga X Pipe BB with the seal installed? Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Looks correct to me...

Here's a photo of mine... looks the same. BTW, you're right about the seals being different; the one on the drive side has a little outward-facing flange on it that extends beyond the face of the seal. I hadn't noticed it before now...

Also, BTW, I like the cranks just fine, but become a friend of blue threadlocker on the self-extracting bolt on the non-drive side crank arm... I had to stop several times on a ride where I didn't put it on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Wolfman said:
Here's a photo of mine... looks the same. BTW, you're right about the seals being different; the one on the drive side has a little outward-facing flange on it that extends beyond the face of the seal. I hadn't noticed it before now...

Also, BTW, I like the cranks just fine, but become a friend of blue threadlocker on the self-extracting bolt on the non-drive side crank arm... I had to stop several times on a ride where I didn't put it on.
Thanks for the pic! Got everything installed okay but the crank seems to be a little stiff to turn. According to the instructions it will be that way until the seals break in. Did you experience the same thing? Used a torque wrench so I know its not over-tightened.

·
Registered
457 Posts
extra workout for a while...

mwilcko2 said:
...but the crank seems to be a little stiff to turn. According to the instructions it will be that way until the seals break in. Did you experience the same thing?
Yeah... in a big way. I was pretty skeptical at first, because, really, who needs extra drag on their drivetrain? I've put 300 miles or so on it, and it has loosened up, but I'm not sure if it will ever spin as freely as my Campy Chorus BBs do.

I haven't had any experience with other outboard BBs, especially with their chains off, so I don't know if it's a design flaw/just the way it is thing, or if it's a TruVative thing... they sure are blingy, though, and they're crazy stiff. I'll give them an 8 out of 10, and move them on to my new Look when I get it...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wolfman said:
Yeah... in a big way. I was pretty skeptical at first, because, really, who needs extra drag on their drivetrain? I've put 300 miles or so on it, and it has loosened up, but I'm not sure if it will ever spin as freely as my Campy Chorus BBs do.

I haven't had any experience with other outboard BBs, especially with their chains off, so I don't know if it's a design flaw/just the way it is thing, or if it's a TruVative thing... they sure are blingy, though, and they're crazy stiff. I'll give them an 8 out of 10, and move them on to my new Look when I get it...
Are Carbon Cranks really stiffer than a regular aluminum crank? Just curious. Does this really make a difference?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
mwilcko2 said:
Are Carbon Cranks really stiffer than a regular aluminum crank? Just curious. Does this really make a difference?
No. German "Tour" magazin did a test on cranksets some time ago and the outcome was that the aluminum version of the Rouleur GXP was actually stiffer and a few grams lighter that the CF one. Anyway, the difference is not in the material but the make and then the differences are not all that big.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts