Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm getting a "deal" from a local guy.

It's the Shimano 105 5600 Series Groupset. He's going to install it for me also for $400

The Groupset is basically a take-off from another bike with only $50 miles on it.

Shimano 105 5600 Shifters
Shimano 105 5650 Compact Crank (172.5 and 50x34T) w/ NEW Ultegra 6600 Bottom Bracket
Shimano 105 5600 Brakeset
Shimano 105 5600 Braze-On Front Derailleur Double with or without band clamp (I have several sizes please specify the diameter needed)
Shimano 105 5600 SS Rear Derailleur
Shimano 105 5600 12-27 Cassette (NEW)
Shimano 105 5600 Chain (NEW)

Those are the components. Good deal or no? Help me out! I'm a newbie. I have a 2009 Specialized Allez Comp. And that's what it's going on, and also I have a set of Easton EA90 Aero wheels that will be going on the bike too. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was selling my Allez Comp, to get a new frame set. Would this be a better idea? I can get anywhere from 600-700 for this bike easily, It's in perfect condition. Would this be the better choice? The stock groupset is worthless once it's off the bike. Let me know what you guys think is the best choice to make.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It depends. Do you think you may have a need for the stock groupset down the road? Maybe for a commuter, a rain bike or one for the wife/GF? If not, sell the bike as a whole and take that $400 you were gonna spend on the 105 group, add the $700 from your current bike and look on ebay. For $1000-$1200, you should be able to find a pretty good used carbon bike with 105 or Ultegra on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a plan to me. I'm relatively new to road bikes, and just been biking for a month, so what are some good bikes for that price range?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I do a lot of buying and selling on ebay, and one of the better bikes for the money is the Cannondale 6-13. It's a carbon/aluminum hybrid frame, and and a darn good one. But becuase it's not all carbon, it doesn't bring top dollar as a full carbon bike would. But it rides and handles as well as almost anything out there. But there are lots of good bike available on ebay, most major brands are competetive with all the other bikes on the market. Just make sure you get the correct size-that's the most important part. There are also lots of 3-5 year old bikes that were purchased on a whim, ridden a half a dozen times, then hung up in the garage. Those are the best ones to get, though a bike with several thousand miles is still a good bet if it was well cared for and never crashed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just sold my Allez Comp for 673 Lol guy was 2 dollars short. But I'm going to be spending a whole lot more on frame and groupset now. the 105's wouldn't do the bike justice.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
mtrider05 said:
Seems like a great deal for $400 installed.
+1... $400 for 105 group installed? That's a very good deal. If you plan to keep it, definitely worth it. If you plan on upgrading to anothe rbike. Don't spend a dime on your Allez Comp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts