Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not normal (talking about the chain).

You need a new chain. And it's a good idea to take a close look at the cassette cogs and chainrings to see if they're worn and need replacing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I know this is a road bike forum but since you guys are so knowledgeable (and almost all bikes have chains) I thought I'd ask this question anyways...

I have a mountain bike with an 8 speed Deore XT chain (circa '99) and I found a link in the chain without a bushing. See pic below. Is this normal? Is this just where the chain was put together or is this a problem? So far the chain has held up and appears to work normally, though Id estimate Ive only put a few hundred miles on the bike in this configuration. Is this OK or is my chain going to break eventually?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Not normal, but I don't think I'd lose sleep, money, or anything over it.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
You need a new chain.

Of topic, why is the first reply before the OP, with a time earlier than the OP?

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frdfandc said:
Of topic, why is the first reply before the OP, with a time earlier than the OP?
The time stamping function of rbr is hosed - and has been since the site update that was made last night. I posted about it in Site Feedback.

·
I love to climb!
2,046 Posts
CleavesF said:
Not normal, but I don't think I'd lose sleep, money, or anything over it.
Not normal, and although I wouldn't lose sleep over it, either, I would lose a little money and purchase a new chain.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks guys, just ordered a new chain. Hope it doesn't break on my way to or from work the next few days before my new chain comes in.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.