Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last Saturday I did a 50 mile ride with a 20 mile climb of 6-7% average grade on one shot of Hammer gel (about a half hour before the ride) and less than half a bottle of water (w/Heed in it)? I ate a bagel with peanut butter on it and drank a glass of water about two hours before the ride. It was about 35-40 degrees at the beginning of the ride but warmed up to about 65 by the end of it. The other thing was that I had to stop and pee three times during the ride (the urine was clear).

Also, during the course of a normal week of riding (usually around 6-8 hours a week) my caloric intake is usually less than 2000 calories as day and yet I never feel bonkish. In fact, I usually feel pretty strong and always ride at the front a lot.

Is it just the way my body works or would I be that much stronger if I ate more?

·
but thinking about it
1,434 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
So last Saturday I did a 50 mile ride with a 20 mile climb of 6-7% average grade on one shot of Hammer gel (about a half hour before the ride) and less than half a bottle of water (w/Heed in it)? I ate a bagel with peanut butter on it and drank a glass of water about two hours before the ride. It was about 35-40 degrees at the beginning of the ride but warmed up to about 65 by the end of it. The other thing was that I had to stop and pee three times during the ride (the urine was clear).

Also, during the course of a normal week of riding (usually around 6-8 hours a week) my caloric intake is usually less than 2000 calories as day and yet I never feel bonkish. In fact, I usually feel pretty strong and always ride at the front a lot.

Is it just the way my body works or would I be that much stronger if I ate more?
I don't know about normal (I think many people eat more than they need to when they ride, NTTAWWT), but it doesn't sound outlandish to me. Training, I may do medium-length endurance rides (say 3 or 3.5 hours at ~1,000 kJ/hour) without eating anything, although I would typically drink a couple of bottles of water or water with an electrolyte mix. In a road race, I will eat on a pretty regular schedule, and in a training ride with higher-intensity intervals more than a couple of hours into the ride, I will typically eat something maybe 40 minutes before those intervals. (In other words, running off reserves for a steady effort is one thing, but if I need to really make power, I add fuel to the system.) I do eat quite a bit more than you during the week, but an amount that seems to reflect my additional riding (I think we're both about 165 pounds). As to the drinking and hydration piece, I don't know what to say other than that if I'm well hydrated and taking a recovery ride, even drinking nothing on the ride I'll often feel like I need to urinate (a rarity if I'm doing any other sort of ride, unless it's of much greater duration).

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Fuel consumption on a ride is dependent on a lot of things but IMO your effort level has a lot to do with it. when I'm pretty fit, I can to a 50 miler at a somewhat stout pace, on pretty much water and whatever I had for dinner the night before.

If we start getting into really hard efforts though, I'll need fuel.

Hydration is not just "in-ride' - in fact from being in Texas all these summers, I've learned that the days before a ride make the difference in hydration.

So, yeah, your ride seems reasonable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you felt OK, you were OK, but I do wonder how hard you were going on that 20 mile climb. I am in decent shape right now and for sure would've needed to eat more than that for a similar effort. Even the usual 250 calories an hour couldn't hurt.

You hear a lot of pros say "whatever you do, don't diet on the bike." For me, this seems to apply more to rides of long distances or intensity or both. I'm usually fine on not much food unless there are hard climbs or big efforts involved, at which point I will fade pretty bad and have gotten to the point where I think I can tell whether it's glycogen deficiency or not.

To each his own, though. If it works for you, it works. You might try bringing a bottle with 3 hours worth of perpetuem next time and see if you feel any different. Consuming 750 calories over the course of a 50 mile ride with 20 miles on a 6-8% climb isn't a ton.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slimjw said:
...but I do wonder how hard you were going on that 20 mile climb.
I was dragging a Pokey Joe with me so I wasn't working too hard. Our average speed for the whole ride was only 15mph but I still thought it was strange that I rode 50 miles on half a bottle of water and pee'd three times during the ride.

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
It's easy

allison said:
I don't know how guys subsist on 2000cal or less a day. Smallish female here and I can barely get through the day on less than 2400, and that's on low/no ride volume days. My metabolism isn't that great, either!
The way to live on 2000 calories a day while doing significant exercise is to mis-count your calories, underestimate proportions, and generally kid yourself. It's easy :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
peeing just means your well hydrated, no problems unless it seems like your body is drying up.

as far as riding 50 miles on what you ate, that's not too crazy. If it is low intensity your going to be using a lot of fat as fuel so eating isn't that important. I've personally done 115 miles on only a bit more than you had, felt kind of delirious from low blood sugar at the end, but kept running on what little stored fat i had.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kerry Irons said:
The way to live on 2000 calories a day while doing significant exercise is to mis-count your calories, underestimate proportions, and generally kid yourself. It's easy :)
Let's see...

Breakfast: Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal w/2% milk = 220cal*
*Let's say I "underestimate proportions, and generally kid myself" so we'll double it to 440

Morning snack: banana, apple, or orange = <90

Lunch: Turkey slices (60cals) on flat bread (90cals) with mustard (15cals) plus Lipton diet green tea w/citrus (0cals) = 165cal*
*Miscalculation factor bumps it up to 330

Afternoon Snack: Tiscuits (120cals) and Peanut Butter (210cals) = 330*
*Miscalculation factor bumps it up to 660

Ride after work: One shot of Hammer gel (90cals) one bottle of water w/Heed (100cals) = 190 If I drink the whole bottle of water.

Dinner: None - I go to bed hungry. If I do eat anything in the evening it is usually chips (140cals) and salsa (15cals) = 155*
*Miscalculation factor bumps it up to 310

440+90+330+660+190+310=2020**
**If I skip the evening meal or the afternoon snack which I do a lot then I'm way under 2000cals. This is why I've dropped over 30 pounds this year and close to 45 total since I started riding. Right now I'm at 170 - next stop 160. I probably used to over-estimate calories burned on rides until I read some of the things you've said in this regard so now I estimate at 700 cals per hour of riding.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BMX, you need some vegetables in your day. Also, if this is typical, you are eating like a teenage girl on a diet. Why skip dinner after a ride? Depending on how hard you are going that is one meal you shouldn't skip. At least eat some protein and veggies or something...

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
slimjw said:
BMX, you need some vegetables in your day. Also, if this is typical, you are eating like a teenage girl on a diet. Why skip dinner after a ride? Depending on how hard you are going that is one meal you shouldn't skip. At least eat some protein and veggies or something...
I'd agree on changing the "diet" to some healthier food, but different strokes. I think you might feel better in general and have more energy on your rides. But, if you're happy with your performance and weight loss that is cool, too. I don't know that I'd have the energy to ride or train, much less race, if I ate like that! Then again, that's why I eat 2500~ calories a day with a lot of fruits/veggies and lean protein. Yeah, it takes a lot of time for food prep; I will admit that much.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I hate veggies
Sorry, last thought. I did too. Just gotta find the right way to enjoy them. I can't do broccoli raw, but I LOVE it roasted (I've made it for many non-broccoli fans and they love it): chop and mix in a bag with olive oil, garlic powder, and favorite seasoning. Lay out on foil in the oven and roast for 20 or so mins (400F). Also, I love grilled veggies. Onions, bell peppers, squash, zucchini. Can be mixed with EVOO and seasoning or done straight on the grill. Actually, any vegetable grilled is pretty much awesome.

·
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
allison said:
Sorry, last thought. I did too. Just gotta find the right way to enjoy them. I can't do broccoli raw, but I LOVE it roasted (I've made it for many non-broccoli fans and they love it): chop and mix in a bag with olive oil, garlic powder, and favorite seasoning. Lay out on foil in the oven and roast for 20 or so mins (400F). Also, I love grilled veggies. Onions, bell peppers, squash, zucchini. Can be mixed with EVOO and seasoning or done straight on the grill. Actually, any vegetable grilled is pretty much awesome.
You should try brussel sprouts roasted like above. I hate brussel sprouts but they're awesome that way. I try to eat veggies.

Actually, my wife has this book called Eating For You're Blood Type. It pegs me to a "T". I'm an AB+ and it says (paraphrasing) "You love meat and hate vegetables. You could eat meat the rest of your life and never touch another fruit or vegetable and you'd be perfectly happy. You also don't get sick much." That's me.

I'm actually training/adjusting my eating habits/lifestyle. It just doesn't happen overnight. I'm trying to completely eliminate processed foods from my diet and I do eat more fruit and salads. I just need to get more into the "food preparation" aspect of the diet. I'll get there.

EVOO is my best friend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts