Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time owner of a Titanium bike. Love it!! I know there are variations in the finish of my carbon frames. But is this normal for Ti frames too..see photo? Streaks? Only cleaned with wet microfiber towel this far. Please advise. And recommendations for cleaning surface. Thank you. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't comment on the streaks. I have not noticed any on my Lynskey. As for cleaning the frame, I use a little WD40 on a rag. I works well for me.

Very nice bike. Enjoy it.

cmn

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 4 the replies. I didn't have pledge lying around so used a stainless steel cleaner that I had been using for our stainless steel home appliances. Worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I can't comment on the streaks. I have not noticed any on my Lynskey. As for cleaning the frame, I use a little WD40 on a rag. I works well for me.

Very nice bike. Enjoy it.

cmn
+1 in the WD40 club. I first tried it on my 2 ti bikes a couple months ago. It is like instant renew-all for the usual brushed Ti finishes. My mtn bike had been mud sloggin and looked stained and awful. Gravel bike almost as bad. minute with WD40 it was new again. but I have done both and Pledge is really easy too. It's just you have to clean it first for Pledge. But with WD, the oil is the cleaner and its own 'polish' coating in one.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Thanks 4 the replies. I didn't have pledge lying around so used a stainless steel cleaner that I had been using for our stainless steel home appliances. Worked great.
As an everyday Ti cleaner, WD-40 is the best I've used and much better than what Seven says to use on one of my two Ti frames (the other is a very finely 3M brushed Kish) - Lemon Pledge. I've had Ti frames since '98 and have done lots of cleaning - WD40 is the best.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use a stainless steel cleaner (Sheila Shine ) that I bought for my grill on my Seven that works very well. I can see how WD-40 works. It seems very similar to the stainless steel cleaner.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I use a stainless steel cleaner (Sheila Shine ) that I bought for my grill on my Seven that works very well. I can see how WD-40 works. It seems very similar to the stainless steel cleaner.
I'll assume it's the mineral spirits in the WD-40 that does the cleaning and the lubrication in the WD-40 (light oil) left behind that gives in the nice finish and no, the oil doesn't pick up dirt. It's such a thin film.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Diesel fuel for both my wife's and my Ti brushed finish bikes.
I'm sure diesel works great, but it's pretty smelly. OMS or lamp fuel will work the same with much less odor, and fewer toxins. This is essentially WD40 without the light lube component.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts