Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I went for a spin on the local MUT. Yes, MUT's can be annoying, etc. etc. but I live practically on top of this one. From my front door, I can ride 50 miles without having to deal with traffic. It is incredibily convenient. And for the most part, I find a little common sense and keeping a sharp lookout helps avoid most of the MUT pitfalls.

On Saturday I had done a fairly grueling mountainbike ride. For Sunday, I figured a 20 or 30 mile easy spin on the MUT was just the ticket. I wanted to maintain a good pace, but didn't plan on breaking any records. It was pretty hot, so there weren't a lot of people on the path. I hit the turnaround point and started heading home. Shortly thereafter, I hear this guy come up behind me. He's got a squeaking pedal or something that squeks with each pedal stroke - sort a plastic-y squeak/groan type noise if you can imagine it. He's hanging right on my wheel. I thought he was going to pass me, pulled along side but then tucked back in behind me. No big deal. Squeak, Squeak, Squeak. I can hear him breathing, too. Squeak, Squeak, Squeak.

After about a mile, this is getting kind of annoying. I'm not going to drop my pace only to wind up behind him and his infernal squeaking. So, I decide he either passes me or I drop him. I picked up my pace, and he sticks right on my wheel. Long story short, this guy caught a free ride for about 3 miles. I could hear him stop pedaling at times! We hit a bridge, and I figured I'd get him now...blew past two guys like they were standing still, practically redlining up this short hill and then into the drops on the other side. Nope, still there. Finally, I get caught behind some slower riders and he passes. I catch up with him at the next road crossing when he tells me "nice pace." Then he pulls off the trail, so I don't even get the return favor.

:confused:

Did he just admit that he caught a free draft off a total stranger? I've had people do it for a short period of time, but this guy was back there for a while....if this is a fairly common custom, I have no problem with it really. It's just never happened to me like that before.

Am I dork for trying to ride him off my wheel? Is he making fun of me on the internet somewhere?

PS - Please don't turn this into an anti/pro MUT trail thread.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We usually slow down till they pass us. We'll put our feet down if we have to.

We really don't want strangers to draft us. Even more if their bikes need work. Even more so if they don't say anything to us. Most of all on MUTs.

My point is that you are in charge of what happens to you when you ride (including your safety). If someone has caught you and begins to draft you the first thing to do is tell them that you don't want them there. If that doesn't work it then becomes time to slow down for as long as it takes.

Since they caught up to you it is unlikely that you will be able to drop them by speeding up.

The quicker that you slow down the less time it will take before they head on down the trail and you are back on your own. Still, most folks will take the hint if you talk to them.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Last weekend, I went for a spin on the local MUT. Yes, MUT's can be annoying, etc. etc. but I live practically on top of this one. From my front door, I can ride 50 miles without having to deal with traffic. It is incredibily convenient. And for the most part, I find a little common sense and keeping a sharp lookout helps avoid most of the MUT pitfalls.

On Saturday I had done a fairly grueling mountainbike ride. For Sunday, I figured a 20 or 30 mile easy spin on the MUT was just the ticket. I wanted to maintain a good pace, but didn't plan on breaking any records. It was pretty hot, so there weren't a lot of people on the path. I hit the turnaround point and started heading home. Shortly thereafter, I hear this guy come up behind me. He's got a squeaking pedal or something that squeks with each pedal stroke - sort a plastic-y squeak/groan type noise if you can imagine it. He's hanging right on my wheel. I thought he was going to pass me, pulled along side but then tucked back in behind me. No big deal. Squeak, Squeak, Squeak. I can hear him breathing, too. Squeak, Squeak, Squeak.

After about a mile, this is getting kind of annoying. I'm not going to drop my pace only to wind up behind him and his infernal squeaking. So, I decide he either passes me or I drop him. I picked up my pace, and he sticks right on my wheel. Long story short, this guy caught a free ride for about 3 miles. I could hear him stop pedaling at times! We hit a bridge, and I figured I'd get him now...blew past two guys like they were standing still, practically redlining up this short hill and then into the drops on the other side. Nope, still there. Finally, I get caught behind some slower riders and he passes. I catch up with him at the next road crossing when he tells me "nice pace." Then he pulls off the trail, so I don't even get the return favor.

Did he just admit that he caught a free draft off a total stranger? I've had people do it for a short period of time, but this guy was back there for a while....if this is a fairly common custom, I have no problem with it really. It's just never happened to me like that before.

Am I dork for trying to ride him off my wheel? Is he making fun of me on the internet somewhere?

Happens all the time -- take it as a compliment.

A+

Philippe

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I usually try to encourage random wheel sucking guys to come along side and talk. That's more pleasant than having them sit on my wheel. When I move to the right and stop pedalling and look back, they usually take the hint. Sometimes they will insist on sitting on my wheel, but those guys are always gone after the next hill.

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
happens alot

The fast cure all is to brake as hard as you can once you know they are on your wheel and then just before collision, sprint away. 2 or 3 times of that and they avoid you like disease.....

Otherwise, ride well and be safe

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Yes, it is annoying. Yes, it happens all the time. Yes, there's lots of folks who think there's nothing wrong with wheelsucking a stranger.

If you can't (or don't want to work hard enough to) drop 'em, then pull over. I don't think it is worth saying something to the offender, because there's no way to say "don't suck my wheel" without sounding like a jerk, so I just find a reason to make a stop.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I don't mind. You gain some aero advantage pulling a wheel suck and its a good workout.

I was on my mountain bike pulling some guy on a raod bike.. He pulled along side and said "I'd pull, but I'm barely hanging on!".. haha

Some day you might get to wheel suck off of a someone. It really helps on head winds.

Brick Tamland said:

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Yes there is.

jtolleson said:
I don't think it is worth saying something to the offender, because there's no way to say "don't suck my wheel" without sounding like a jerk,....
Just tell them that you are very uncomfortable with someone riding that close. They would have to be pretty rude to continue doing it.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
jtolleson said:
Yes, it is annoying. Yes, it happens all the time. Yes, there's lots of folks who think there's nothing wrong with wheelsucking a stranger.

If you can't (or don't want to work hard enough to) drop 'em, then pull over. I don't think it is worth saying something to the offender, because there's no way to say "don't suck my wheel" without sounding like a jerk, so I just find a reason to make a stop.
I have this happen all the time. Last week during BTC people would just hop on to my wheel--I think largely because I'm 6'2" and 200 and make a good draft. I found a few good snot rockets tended to make them back off.

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A clarification and a response...

At no point were we riding unsafely - I'm a big believer in being responsible for my own actions on the MUT. I gave plenty of warning that I was passing to the 3 or 4 people we passed. When conditions become crowded, I slow down and get on the brakes.

I don't mind people who hang on for a few minutes - heck, I've done it myself. I'll usually say something to the effect of "I'll hang back here a minute, I don't have the gas to pass you just yet..." or just maintain a reasonable distance so as not to crowd them. In my opinion, they shouldn't have to change their pace for me - I can choose to stay behind and slow up, or pass when it's safe.

You're right - I could have just slowed down. At first, though, it seemed like he couldn't pass and the squeak/groan was getting to me. And I fully intended to have him pull me for a while, because I was pretty worked. When he pulled off, I felt like a total rube....

I just thought it was sort of an unspoken code - you can catch a litte draft for a few minutes and sort of pretend that you're not, but as soon as its obvious to the rider in front, it's time to either drop back or pass.

I'll admit, it made an otherwise uneventful ride a little more interesting.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Umm, so why are your letting this guy in your kitchen? If you had remembered your original intent of the ride ("easy spin") then you would have slowed down and probably not seen him again.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I commute on an MUT and sometimes I'll push it home. At least once a month, I get guys who jump on me, but truthfully, it only really bothers me when they 1) get too close and overlap my wheel, or 2) they suck my wheel for a few miles, then make a huge effort to blow by me and disappear up the trail like were some racer stud who just dropped me hard. If they are well-behaved, I just do my thing and don't worry about it. It's not like they are slowing me down.

One guy who kept overlapping my wheel got religion real quick when I made sure to cut over sharply to exit the trail where I get off. I actually signaled my intention before I did it, but still, he nearly ended up into a fence, while I just smirked and rode off. He was also getting off the trail, but he stayed way back after that! Other times, there are places where roots have lifted the trail, and I'll usually make sure I run over those. It can be a jarring experience for whoever is behind.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I ride the Pecos Loop in the Phoenix area a lot. It's a populated bike route and random drafting occurs often. As said above, if you don't trust the other riders skills, ask them to depart, drop them or sit up and wait. I have yet to run into a group that has had a problem with a wheel sucker and I haven't heard and such stories either. Last week on my morning ride, I caught a rollerblader (I've seen this guy out there before and he's fast). I led him for 5 miles, and only finally dropped him at the end on the slight downhill. I lost him at somewhere between 26 and 28 mph. I was very impressed with him ability and it made my ride and my day. At the turn, he thanked me and he's always welcome on my wheel.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Yeah, it happens. Tough it out or pull over if it bothers you too much.

Unless he's seriously out of shape, dropping someone from your draft on a flat MUT will require speeds that aren't safe for an MUT...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I really don' t mind it.
If the guy is overlapping my wheel it isn't going to make me crash, just him. (unless you're riding no handed which shouldn't be done on the MUT)

Its really rare it happens anyway but if i'm trying to get a workout in and the guy is strong enough to pace me i'll give them the body signal to pull, sit up and stop pedaling. Often this will engage the trading of pulls... If that doesn't work, i'll drift back and let him know I'm going to be doing intrivals. If he doesn't know what that means he'll get the point when after resting I take off...

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
i do it all the time. No big deal, but i a stay at least 1-2 feet back. If it really annoys him he'll speed ahead. some guy caught me on this mornings ride. he looked surprised when i turned around and said morning. i upped the pace didn't drop him, 3 miles later he passed me. no big deal it happens to me too. He made the ride memorable and it turned into a workout.

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
he shoulda brought you breakfast... people have tried to draft me but generally i make it obvious by slowing down or just stopping. i don't really mind, when i come up to riders i usually just wait until it's safe to pass or stay a good distance behind.you could always make yourself seem squirrelly and scare him off. (use discretion with this one)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.