Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Giant TCR2 back in 2003 - it's a size small frame.

I'm 5 feet 6.5" with a 29" inseam.

The seatpost is one of those bladed affairs that has very little height adjustment - it's as high as it can go.

I've probably ridden 14,000 miles since buying the bike but of late after doing a bunch of spin classes where I have much finer control of the spinbike seat height/fore/aft position and bar height - it feels like the bike might not have been the right size.

Now this wouldn't surprise me. When I bought the bike I didn't really know any better and I presumed the salesperson had a clue.

Example - my mountain bike is a size medium Specialized Epic. That was bought AFTER the road bike at a completely different dealer.

Not sure if a MTB size and a road bike size has a large variance but it feels like the MTB "feels" more like a correct size whereas the road bike is set up where when I sit I have a slight bend in the knee but still feels like the seat could be a bit higher yet and maybe just a little bit "crunched".

I've considered replacing the seatpost altogether since besides looking cool I have my doubts that it really is doing much good but if I should have been riding a medium instead of a small it's possible my entire riding style needs to be completely reevaluated on a bike of the correct size.

Ideas? Thoughts? Anyone else get sold something too small for them and only realize it later?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Your height and inseam can be working with either the small or medium frame with components to make up the difference either way. Definitely get another seat post before shooting for another bike. From reading your description, I'm only registering a problem with how your legs are feeling, and not necessarily the torso.

There is the idea of doing a demo ride of a newer TCR to get a feel of how a longer top tube would workout, but again, I don't think that has much to do with your issue.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
so you expected it to grow after 7 years, did the sales guy say you will grow into it :idea:

get a longer seatpost, and then if needed a longer/lower stem.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Sure, it's possible. We've all purchased bikes that we eventually discover do not fit. It's part of the knowledge you gain from experience.

You've got a short inseam for your height. You need a seat height roughly 31" +/- 1/2". Your top tube should probably be 54-55cm with maybe an 11cm stem.

I think your best bet is to either spend the money on a fit session using your existing bike to get another opinion. You could also explain your problem to a Giant dealer and see if longer posts are available or if you can adapt the frame to a conventional seatpost. Third, you could post photos here for a critque. My concern would be a resultant unusually out of proportion frame due to an extremely long seatpost.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Is your bike carbon fiber? Do you wash it often? Remember you should always use cool or lukewarm water, because hot water may cause shrinkage, and might also cause colors to run.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah...

Ventruck said:
Your height and inseam can be working with either the small or medium frame with components to make up the difference either way. Definitely get another seat post before shooting for another bike. From reading your description, I'm only registering a problem with how your legs are feeling, and not necessarily the torso.

There is the idea of doing a demo ride of a newer TCR to get a feel of how a longer top tube would workout, but again, I don't think that has much to do with your issue.
I've always felt that my stem is just a tiny bit too short - and that my seatpost could be
just a little bit higher. Hmmm.

Thinking. I could demo a different bike since I've had it for a while just to see if I like
something better.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm.

muscleendurance said:
so you expected it to grow after 7 years, did the sales guy say you will grow into it :idea:

get a longer seatpost, and then if needed a longer/lower stem.
At the time I evaluated it it felt like it fit. It's only after years of riding and getting a little
more knowledge on the subject that it seems like it wasn't quite dialed in even though
I liked the bike in general.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peter P. said:
Sure, it's possible. We've all purchased bikes that we eventually discover do not fit. It's part of the knowledge you gain from experience.

You've got a short inseam for your height. You need a seat height roughly 31" +/- 1/2". Your top tube should probably be 54-55cm with maybe an 11cm stem.

I think your best bet is to either spend the money on a fit session using your existing bike to get another opinion. You could also explain your problem to a Giant dealer and see if longer posts are available or if you can adapt the frame to a conventional seatpost. Third, you could post photos here for a critque. My concern would be a resultant unusually out of proportion frame due to an extremely long seatpost.
Yeah - my inseam is ridiculous. I have short stubby little legs and they spin fast but
I'll check the dimensions.

I'll see what we can figure out - that would be my concern too - extremely long seatpost
and thin aluminum tubing. I'll check out the measurements on mine and check with a
dealer to see what's what.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
!

Mr. Versatile said:
Is your bike carbon fiber? Do you wash it often? Remember you should always use cool or lukewarm water, because hot water may cause shrinkage, and might also cause colors to run.
Lol! Shrinkage!

It's aluminum with carbon fiber fork/post/stem.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
too funny! Ya killin me Larry!! ;)

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
winner! :lol: :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.