Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, leaving for a race today we drove off and left my front wheel in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I get back and see it laying in the grass and am beyond relieved until I see a lot of the stuff in these pics. Am I correct in assuming my rim is ruined? View attachment 282194 View attachment 282195 View attachment 282196

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking. This is a great way to ruin a good morning!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It looks like someone ran into it. Is it still true even? They may be fine to ride. My wheelbuilder said that those kind of grooves will fill with brake material and not be too bad. I am not sure if this is correct or not.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
So, leaving for a race today we drove off and left my front wheel in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I get back and see it laying in the grass and am beyond relieved until I see a lot of the stuff in these pics. Am I correct in assuming my rim is ruined?
]
Yeah, seems pretty much ruined. No chance for this baby to survive :(

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Only way to tell is try to dress them up a bit with some sand paper or file (hit the high spots). Put it on the bike and ride it. If you don't notice anything, I would ride it until it died.
The question is: How cheap is the OP. Those grooves look pretty deep but I'm with you. Touch it up with some fine sandpaper followed by some ScotchBrite and go for a ride.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Before you put sandpaper or a file to it get a sharpening stone and try that. Harbor freight has one for $1.00, med and fine. It should be easier to hold flat on the brake track than sand paper.
If you go with sandpaper you may be better off with emery cloth wrapped around something flat and inflexible that will hold flat on the brake track. A small block of wood or sumsuch.

The rim's already damaged so if nothing works you ain't hurtin' anything.

Combination Sharpening Stone

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,665 Posts
It looks like someone ran into it. Is it still true even? They may be fine to ride. My wheelbuilder said that those kind of grooves will fill with brake material and not be too bad. I am not sure if this is correct or not.
really? i'm gonna say your wheelbuilder is nuts. as others have posted you might be able to sand/file them and get it good enough to ride. letting it fill up brake pad material? that's just stupid.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might try to sand/file it down. The idea of the sharpening stone is pretty interesting. I'm buying a tri bike this week so I don't want to buy another wheel on top of the bike plus my race entries. I'll see what I can do about it. Luckily, a guy I ride with is a wheel builder and sponsors the tri team I just started competing for. He may be sympathetic...

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a sandstone to it and it looks much better now. I'll ride it tonight at our Tuesday TT and let you all know how it goes. Next project, sharpening my knives...

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What is left of the wear indicator on the rim once you dress the wheel out?
Keep in mind a smooth scalloped wheel could be an issue with braking, especially on a front wheel.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't see a wear indicator. Those are the little holes around the rim, right?

Unfortunately, I have bigger things to worry about now. I endo'd leaving a parking lot to do a workout today. My head tube assploded.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
I don't see a wear indicator. Those are the little holes around the rim, right?

Unfortunately, I have bigger things to worry about now. I endo'd leaving a parking lot to do a workout today. My head tube assploded.
Dude, WTF!

Sounds like the bike is busted pretty good, how about yourself? Hopefully you suffered no major damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.