Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a trunk rack and bag from LBS, and they put it on for me, but said I'd have to give up my seat bag for it. I reluctantly agreed.

After getting it home and looking a little more at it, I decided to move the rack down a bit and see if the trunk bag would still fit. It did. Seems OK to me, clearance over wheel seems OK.

Does it look OK to ya'll?

Is there anything wrong with how I have this set up now?

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
It looks all right to me - that is, I don't see anything unsafe about it. Your access to the underseat bag is limited. You'd either have to remove the trunk bag, rack, or loosen the trunk rack and turn it to the side to get at it. But it looks safe to me.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I don't need to get into my seat bag regularly. It holds my spare tire, tire levers, patch hit, band-aids, and some emergency cash. So it's OK that it's inconvenient. By the time I need something out of the seat bag, I'm already having an unplanned stop. I just didn't like those things taking up room in my trunk bag that I'm using to carry my work clothes. I'm attempting to reduce what I normally carry in my backpack, to the trunk bag.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Loraura said:
Thanks! I don't need to get into my seat bag regularly. It holds my spare tire, tire levers, patch hit, band-aids, and some emergency cash. So it's OK that it's inconvenient. By the time I need something out of the seat bag, I'm already having an unplanned stop. I just didn't like those things taking up room in my trunk bag that I'm using to carry my work clothes. I'm attempting to reduce what I normally carry in my backpack, to the trunk bag.
Because I use all kinds of different bags on my commuters, I got a little flat pouch to store all my ride tools (15mm wrench, multi-tool, one tube, two CO2 carts, CO2 nozzle, patch kit) and I just move the pouch from bag to bag. But what's cool is that all the tools lay flat, so the toolbag itself doesn't take up much room.

I believe I tried a similar setup to yours back when I had a seatpost rack. It didn't last long, only because it was so aesthetically unpleasing. YMMV.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I don't see how that would be unsafe at all. But, like Roebuck said, it could be prettier. That said: function over form any day of the week for me! (I wear Propets for cryin out loud. They look like prescription shoes but my god are they comfy!)

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.