Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a year ago i went to one of the very few quality bike shops in my rural area. i considered a trek. however, i didn't need or want a triple crank. i asked the owner if he could replace it w a compact and he said 'no'. fine. he also said he couldn't do any swaps of anything, bars, stem, saddle...other that having me purchase the parts retail and he'd install them. when i asked him about ordering me the bike w the compact crank he told me that i'd have to pay i hefty shipping price and that it could take weeks. now this guy is a trek dealer. should a customer have to pay shipping? should a bike shop swap out 'some' parts for the sake of fit? shouldn't the shop make some kind of offer or attempt to meet the customer half way? i ended up buying a douglas fusion fr colorado cyclist. totally happy. got way more for my money by mail order on line. i try to patronize lbs' but sometimes they are just too much!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
should a bike shop swap out 'some' parts for the sake of fit? no... will some? yes
shouldn't the shop make some kind of offer or attempt to meet the customer half way? no... will some? yes
should a customer have to pay shipping? F no, although it's not entirely unherard of

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
find a customer friendly bike shop. One that will do some things, within reason, to please his customer. What kind of Trek where you looking at?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in a tough competative mkt...

i would think a shop would make some kind of attempt to please a customer and make a sale. when i told the guy that i didnt want a triple crank, he looked at me like i was nuts. as if i would really need such low gears in super flat central florida. as for high cost shipping. the bike i got mail order only carries about a $30 shipping charge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
don't even recall the model of the trek....

except when i went back a few weeks later to buy some pins for an ultegra chain a five pack was over $25.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Find a new shop. That one sucks. When I did this many years ago (as in bought a bike and needed some parts swapped), they didn't charge me anything for it. I miss that shop after moving away. They were fantastic.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
ocd said:
i would think a shop would make some kind of attempt to please a customer and make a sale. when i told the guy that i didnt want a triple crank, he looked at me like i was nuts. as if i would really need such low gears in super flat central florida. as for high cost shipping. the bike i got mail order only carries about a $30 shipping charge.

another clue that this is a clueless shop... why would they stock triples in central fl???

btw, there's much more to a proper triple to double change than just swapping cranks... (shimano) shifters plus front and rear ders get changed too if you're doing it right, maybe cables and tape too

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shops being so far away...

i buy almost everything mail order. except, one shop, run by an older guy and his wife, that sells kids bikes gets my business for tubes, tape, etc... real nice guy and i try to give him all of the business that i can

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree—it's not typical of bike shops at all. Find a better shop even if you have to go to Tampa/St.Petersburg.

Just curious,why the long memory? The incident happened a year ago, the crotchety bike shop owner is happy to be rid of you, you're happy with your Douglas—it's all good. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no real reason...

for the long memory. actually, i wanted to ask about it for some time and never got around to it. just curious.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not a very helpful shop.

Where is this? We're in a smallish city <100K with a lot of rural customers. If you came to us with those requests we would weigh the situation and try to meet you somewhere in the middle. It sounds like the bike was something they carry on the sales floor. In that case you wouldn't need to pay a deposit and as long as we had a few other bikes to order, you wouldn't pay shipping. I've worked for 2 Trek related dealers and with their warehouse system, if the bike was in stock at the warehouse it would take 5 business days. At most. As for the parts swaps, the parts to do a fit would be N/C as long as they were of a similar quality level. For any other parts, we'd offer you an amount for the parts on the bike that would be something like wholesale and you'd have to purchase the parts you wanted. You certainly wouldn't be paying full pop for the parts, unless you wanted to keep them too.

I hope they're one of the casualties of this recession.

Bob

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
What you have encountered is the typical @$$hat bike shop owner. Around where I live, there are 2 of them, and I refuse to patronize either of them anymore. Both of these guys seem to have a business model where a certain type of customer will buy a certain type of bike, spend more than it's worth, then unquestioningly bring it in for overpriced service each year. For guys like these, anybody with a request outside of this ideal will be treated poorly. Find another shop, even if you have to drive 50 miles.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Not a high-end shop, more like a mid-high end shop.

My buddy went into a LBS and wanted to buy a Bianchi C2C. He spoke with one of the salesmen who promptly had the fitter guy measure him. Free. Turns out that my buddy needed a wider handlebar than the handlebar that the bike came with so they ordered the larger bike with the correct handlebar and swapped them, no problem. They did offer to swap the same model handlebar off the shelf for him but the ones that are sold OTC have red paint on them while the ones that came with the bikes are all silver, no red, and he wanted it all to match. No problem. No extra charge. Great customer service. Pacific Bikes in SF.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
The majority of shops will "work" with a customer. (to a point)

·
Registered
192 Posts
First of all, I would not call that shop a "quality shop" just because they may sell quality brands. A quality shop understands the principles of fit, function, and the customers' individual wants and needs. A shop owner who would try to charge a customer retail cost plus shipping for swapping out a crankset/stem/post or whatever is needed to get your fit and function correct is obviously someone who does not give a rip about his customers' satisfaction or the sport of cycling in general. Why pay for his overhead if he is providing you no service beyond what you would get with a mail-order transaction (or less)? I would stay away from that shop unless you are in a pinch for a small item and it is convenient for you to go there.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
First, could you use capitalization and the enter key to make your quetions a little easier to read? Thanks!

Parts Swapping: Nice bike shops will usually make some effort to work with a customer to sell a bike, but not if it is going to cost them a bundle. A bigger shop can absorb moving OEM parts between bikes, a smaller shop would have a hard time having "take-off" parts on the shelf. It's common for them to offer you something, and usually there's no labor charge for minor part swaps on a new bike.

Shipping charges: This is more common than you think with small bike shops, though I don't particularly approve of it. They keep very small inventories and order "on demand," so bike manufacturers will bill them for freight, as opposed to if they ordered in quantity. They pass it on to customers. I'd rather they stocked what they could sell.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ocd said:
One year ago the market was not so tough. Bike sales went through the roof last summer and many shops were very low on stock. But I do agree the dealer should have at least swapped fit items such as bar and stem and maybe even saddle.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I can understand not swapping the crank out. That's an expensive and time consuming swap.

I think not working with you on simple stem swaps, maybe handlebars is a bit ridiculous. Note I said working with you, which does not necessarily equate to giving you full retail swaps on the OEM parts. I'd be a bit put off by a shop that was going to charge me full retail to swap a stem if I was buying a fairly nice bike (and likely quite a bit more in accessories like cages, pedals, saddle, etc). Certainly within their rights for them to do so, but perhaps not the best move from a customer satisfaction standpoint.

I tend to also think they should eat shipping on a custom order. I wouldn't be put off if they did charge me for it, but it shouldn't be outrageous and it shouldn't take "weeks" unless there is extenuating circumstances (bike is not in stock at the distributer, shipping from oversees, etc). I can ship a bike in the continental US for less than $70. Shops and distributers that run high volume and are shipping business to business can do it for less; thus I expect to be charged less, if at all.

My shop has bent over backwards for me and have earned a lifelong customer because of it. No charge for shipping (and I've now custom ordered 2 bikes and a few parts from them). Retail to Retail swaps no questions asked (and I'm on my 3rd bar...including taping it up!...I think we've got it right now). etc. I wouldn't patronize the shop you speak of as a first choice simply because there is better service out there available to me (not that their service is "bad" per say). Service is what is now separating LBS's from the vast internet; the good ones get that, the mediocre ones not so much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts