Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a wheel set with an 11-32 shimano cassette be switched onto another bike that is currently using DA 9100 rear derailleur with an 11-28? I realize with the 9000 series RD a long cage is required.

I know the new standard size DA 9100 rear derailleur can accommodate an 11-32 cassette b/c I am running that set up on one of my bikes. So I guess I am wondering if the chain length on the 11-28 bike with the 9100 RD can accommodate th 11-32 cassette?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,581 Posts
Can a wheel set with an 11-32 shimano cassette be switched onto another bike that is currently using DA 9100 rear derailleur with an 11-28? I realize with the 9000 series RD a long cage is required.

I know the new standard size DA 9100 rear derailleur can accommodate an 11-32 cassette b/c I am running that set up on one of my bikes. So I guess I am wondering if the chain length on the 11-28 bike with the 9100 RD can accommodate th 11-32 cassette?
No...the RD9100 is spec'd for a max cog of 30. It apparently works on your bike, but it won't work on all bikes, that is exactly why Shimano says max cog=30.

There is no RD9000 or any other Shimano road derailleur w/ a 'long' cage. Nor is there any D/A w/ a 'medium' cage. You can get an Ultegra GS (medium) cage derailleur that will work w/ a 32 cog.

As for your chain, if you've got a short (SS) cage derailleur and a 28 chances are very good your chain is going to be too short to add 4 more teeth and a medium (not long) cage derailleur. I've done this conversion dozens of times and I always need to install a new chain.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No...the RD9100 is spec'd for a max cog of 30. It apparently works on your bike, but it won't work on all bikes, that is exactly why Shimano says max cog=30.

There is no RD9000 or any other Shimano road derailleur w/ a 'long' cage. Nor is there one w/ a 'medium' cage. You can get an Ultegra GS (medium) cage derailleur that will work w/ a 32 cog.

As for your chain, if you've got a short (SS) cage derailleur and a 28 chances are very good your chain is going to be too short to add 4 more teeth and a medium (not long) cage derailleur. I've done this conversion dozens of times and I always need to install a new chain.
Thank you for the informative response. Yeah. I run an 11-32 with the 9100 RD on my titanium No. 22 Reactor with the rest of the bike DA9000. Haven't had any issues...but sure, the shifts could probably be a bit smoother with an 11-30.

I went with the ultegra 11-32 over the DA 11-30 bc my other bike has an 11-28....and I am used to having the -25 and -28 vs the -27 and -30. I hardly use the -32 but it's nice to have for very specific rides/events with steeper summit finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,581 Posts
The 32 is definitely great when you really need an easier gear, you'll always notice the 32 where you might think the 30 is not quite enough on a lot of climbs.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 32 is definitely great when you really need an easier gear, you'll always notice the 32 where you might think the 30 is not quite enough on a lot of climbs.
Agreed. If i am cooked and mashing in the -28, don't think the -30 will make a very noticeable difference, but the -32 gets me to spin better and avoid cramps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts