Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5'7.5" chick - long legs, short torso 32' cycling inseam. I've been looking for a CX bike but not too seriously until now. i came across a good deal on a used 52cm Crosswind. I ride a 53/54 road with short TT. Since i dont have a 50 cm Crosswind to compare fit, I cant tell if the 50 would be better. Based upon experience, I think it will work with a 100 or110 stem, based upon the TT length and HT height. However, I've heard these bikes are tall so you'll end up on a smaller size than what you normally ride for standover. I rode it around for a few minutes but the stem and pedals didn't allow for a good test. I'm planning on taking another look at it in a couple of days. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I would suggest asking if you switch-out the stem and pedals so you can get a more realistic test ride. My gut feeling is a 50 will work better for you, but it's tough to say without pics of you on the 52.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sizing question

The 50cm is your best bet. Yes, you could ride a 52cm but it will make dimounting for runups and barriers alot more difficult. I have a 52 Xfire with the same leg length. If I could switch I would.

·
raging results nerd
925 Posts
Shamrock0325 said:
The 50cm is your best bet. Yes, you could ride a 52cm but it will make dimounting for runups and barriers alot more difficult. I have a 52 Xfire with the same leg length. If I could switch I would.
Frame size has NOTHING to do with "dismounting difficulty."

I'm a 5'8"/31 inch inseam guy and I ride a 54cm Ridley XFire. It has a tight standover height due to the higher bottom bracket (like most Ridleys, I believe), but the proper reach, which is what actually matters (IMO). You will never straddle the bike in a race situation so standover is a silly metric to select a bike with.

If the reach is good I would go with it, unless you're actually unable to straddle the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts