Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 278095 View attachment 278096 View attachment 278097

I'm having a rough day and was wondering if my Tire is still safe to ride on. It's fairly new, few hundred KM's. Its a continental All Season Folding. I got the flat today on the first ride of spring. What makes things worse is I got stranded because my tube fell apart. The third pic is a piece of the valve of the continental tube. I tried to pump the tire after I put in the new tube and it wouldn't go. I took the pump out and the valve came apart. Also a continental.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
View attachment 278098

The cause of my Conti tire failure was a mystery. Smooth road, no apparent glass or anything else, and it just assploded.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I'm having a rough day and was wondering if my Tire is still safe to ride on. It's fairly new, few hundred KM's. Its a continental All Season Folding. I got the flat today on the first ride of spring. What makes things worse is I got stranded because my tube fell apart. The third pic is a piece of the valve of the continental tube. I tried to pump the tire after I put in the new tube and it wouldn't go. I took the pump out and the valve came apart. Also a continental.
Bulge test: if you pump the tire and there is no bulge then you have no issues. If there is a bulge then you can boot the tire as suggested (I fold the Tyvek to give me 4 layers). If there is a hole in the casing you can also put a tube patch on the inside (tube patch then glue the Tyvek over it). Even with a slight bulge you will only get faster wear at that point but will not have a safety issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll try the tyvek out. Where can I get some for cheap. Also what type of glue works best.

Thanks again, I was just worried that cut went right through but just made a tiny hole on the other side. Doesn't look bad but my lack of knowledge on this made me not sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
View attachment 278095 View attachment 278096 View attachment 278097

I wouldn't bother gluing anything, that cut is tiny just check that there is no glass or anything in the tire put a new tube in and ride your bike.

As for the tube valve continental tubes have removable valve cores it looks like it wasn't done up tight enough. screw it back in and then look for the 2 flat sections, they are wrench flats get a small spanner or some pliers and gently tighten the core don't over do it just give it a 16th of a turn after its finger tight.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I wouldn't think twice as long as there is no bulge at full pressure. You can also glue a tube patch inside the tire .
On that I always carry an extra tube and a patch kit, the kit I use first if I can find the hole as it takes seconds to put the patch on. I also cycle my tubes, if I swap out the tube when I get a flat I keep the old one then fix it and use it as my spare.

On super long unsupported rides I bring an extra tube.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I had to read the comments to find any hole or puncture. I would never give that a second consideration, assuming I'd noticed it in the first place. That tire is still in good condition.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Welcome to the world of fragile Continental sidewalls. However, your slice looks like nothing...I think you lucked out.

Pump air into the tire, as you pump watch the area with the slice, keep going even pass your normal PSI limit, to at least the max sidewall rated PSI. As you pump make sure there is no bulge forming, once you get to 125 psi and you don't see anything then feel the area to make sure you don't feel a slight bump, if not you're good to ride on it. Do not keep pumping though if you see a bulge forming or you could blow out the sidewall entirely. If you see and or feel a bulge then you can support the tire with a tire boot patch from inside.

I never cared much for Continental tubes, or their road tires (but they do have a new tire that has me interested). Conti tubes use presta valves that I think are not that great. I've noticed 3 different quality level of presta valves, real bad ones, so so ones, and good ones, Conti seem to be so so. Specialized tubes seem to use good ones, I've never had an issue with their Turbo tube presta valves. I'm sure there are other good presta valves on other tubes manufactures. And perhaps Conti Supersonics may use better valves since they are pro level racing tubes.

BUT, you may also be putting too much stress on the valve from using your mini pump. Tubes use to put a reinforcement washer on the inside of the tube where the valve enters, all companies have eliminated that practice, Specialize has a slightly thicker area around the presta valve. Regardless, due to the action of tube companies eliminating the reinforcement pump companies are beginning to respond by offering pumps with hoses, the hose prevents you from putting stress on the valve as long as you don't make the hose pull on the valve. For the money Topeak make the best pumps with hoses, the RaceRocket series are great mini pumps in particular the HPX, the HPX is a bit longer then the other Race Rockets but that makes it easier to get to higher PSI levels then shorter pumps.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
In regards to your third picture, that's just the valve stem that loosened up and fell out. You can just screw it back in. If you look closely you will see to flats above the crown nut that you loosen to add air. Use pliers on those flats and tighten in back into the tube and you will be fine so long as there's nothing else wrong with it.

PS - I have far cuts that are far worse than that. I got all the way home to find my tube peeking out of a cut. Luckily it didn't burst. I used a tube patch on the inside of the tire and inspect regularly. A silver Sharpie helps me find it easily to see if it gets worse.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.