Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode over a shard of glass, and my tire now has this cut.

It goes all the way through. The tire only has 100 miles on it, so I'd like to save it, if possible.

Is it salvageable? If so, how do I repair it?

Thanks!

·
Militant commuter
943 Posts
I'm cheap, so cuts like this (in my experience only, of course) are totally salvageable. Just slip a folded dollar bill or a Powerbar wrapper between the inside of the tire and the tube, reinstall on the rim and pump it up. If nothing bulges out, you're good to go!

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Whether it bulges when fully inflated is the key. Boot it, as feh suggests (I like to use several thicknesses of that Tyvek paper -- like FedEx envelopes are made of), and see if the tube bulges out. If it does, you've cut too many cords, and it's done. But if no bulge, it should last a while. You can fill the cut with ShoeGoo or black rubber sealant (hardware store) if you're concerned about debris sticking in there and worsening the damage.

Was that picture taken with the tire inflated?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JCavilia said:
Whether it bulges when fully inflated is the key. Boot it, as feh suggests (I like to use several thicknesses of that Tyvek paper -- like FedEx envelopes are made of), and see if the tube bulges out. If it does, you've cut too many cords, and it's done. But if no bulge, it should last a while. You can fill the cut with ShoeGoo or black rubber sealant (hardware store) if you're concerned about debris sticking in there and worsening the damage.

Was that picture taken with the tire inflated?
That pic was taken after I removed the rim from the bike, after having removed the chunk of glass. Inner tube was still in there, but it was flat.

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
The question is this: How much are YOU willing to risk? It's in the side of the tire, which I would say is arguably more critical than the flate tread - the wall is thinner, and probably takes much abuse from flexing, cornering, compressing, etc... Replacing a tire is much cheaper than replacing/repairing body parts, or risking ruining your bike as well. Seems to me silly to ride knowingly on questionable equipment.

Do what you need to.

·
Registered
329 Posts
axebiker said:
The question is this: How much are YOU willing to risk? It's in the side of the tire, which I would say is arguably more critical than the flate tread - the wall is thinner, and probably takes much abuse from flexing, cornering, compressing, etc... Replacing a tire is much cheaper than replacing/repairing body parts, or risking ruining your bike as well. Seems to me silly to ride knowingly on questionable equipment.

Do what you need to.

+1

And I would not value advice from strangers who can not inspect the cut directly.

Just saying....

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just yesteray i hit a very small shard or something. The rip is vertical and on the sidewall of my Michelin Pro3 tire. I tried to patch and reinstall it but the tube buldged out so I sucked it up and ordered a new tire. Vredestein Tricomp this time, Ill see how it is. Kind of upsetting that the Pro3 has trashed so easily after only 600 miles but theres no way to tell if that shard would have killed any other tire. As far as fixing or replacing.... yes tires are expensive and I just dumped a $50 tire after 600 miles. You know whats more expensive? abulance ride, deductable, recovery time when I eat it at 40mph because I wanted to save my $50 tire.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
And why is it that it is Always a "NEW" tire that gets damaged? If I manage to get a couple of thousand miles on a tire I know it will last until the tread falls off. But when I put the new tire on Look Out, here comes the sidewall damage!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My motto is "When in doubt, throw it out..."

Or, in the case of my recently cut tires, retire them to trainer use in the winter, since that eats tires anyway...

I can feel your pain, as I cut a Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX with less than 500 miles on it and it bulged enough that I didn't feel comfortable keeping it on the bike. I figured that it might be ok, but decided that was not something I wanted to contemplate at 45mph downhill.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
andulong said:
And why is it that it is Always a "NEW" tire that gets damaged? If I manage to get a couple of thousand miles on a tire I know it will last until the tread falls off. But when I put the new tire on Look Out, here comes the sidewall damage!
because roads are unforgiving. if it makes you feel any better i just got 3 screws in a now unavailable set of tires I've had on my car since january. New set here I come...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.