Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K. I'll apologize for my ignorance in advance. I should probably know this but here goes:

So I was riding a popular climb the other day and saw "Venge! Venge!" painted on the road. "Huh," I thought, "there must be some Spesh fans rolling around here." Later on, while watching Le TdF (and not paying super close attention), I thought I heard a commentator say "vengAY," and I wondered if "vengAY" was spelled "venge" and meant "allez!"

All the googling and interweb scouring I mustered netted me the bike and the english word similar to vengeance. I even tried looking in other language dictionaries to no dice.

Is my speculation correct? Is "venge!" an "allez!" and how is it pronounced?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
One internet dictionary site says "Hurry!" Another says "Avenge!" Of course, it could mean both, as both definitions do fit the circumstance.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One internet dictionary site says "Hurry!" Another says "Avenge!" Of course, it could mean both, as both definitions do fit the circumstance.
I didn't find the "hurry" definition, just lots of "avenges." On a related note, I checked several cyclist glossaries as well, and not one even had "allez." On a different related note, does Spesh have a naming theme going on? Well, obviously. But deliberately? That'd be handy info for the Alex Trebekses of cycling.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I Googled "translate venge" and got revenge, requite, avenge, so it's a (french) word.

Allez came up go, move, travel, pass.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, claudio!! Maybe I misread, or maybe the writers misspelled it, but sho'nuff, when I googled "venga," rather than "venge," I got multiple hits on the translation. And if you hadn't tipped me off to my misvoweling, I still wouldn't know. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.