Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna know because I've got an urge to build one.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Unfortunately, no! But! It will be after the old guys die off. Oh and old guys, you can take your disk brakes with you.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Unfortunately, no! But! It will be after the old guys die off. Oh and old guys, you can take your disk brakes with you.
Bite me.

My most useful bike is a Kona Rove Titanium. It's pretty light, it's strong as hell and compliant. It's my commuter, my winter bike and my gravel bike. And yeah, the disc brakes are pretty freaking awesome in Seattle drizzle for my commute. And in the Seattle drizzle for my winter bike. And in the dirty grimy schmutz as my gravel bike.
I only wish they were full hydraulic instead of the hybrid TRP Hy/Rds.
Cantis? F' that shyte. Don't get me wrong- they have their place.
(And that place is a warm, dry climate).

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Bite me.

My most useful bike is a Kona Rove Titanium. It's pretty light, it's strong as hell and compliant. It's my commuter, my winter bike and my gravel bike. And yeah, the disc brakes are pretty freaking awesome in Seattle drizzle for my commute. And in the Seattle drizzle for my winter bike. And in the dirty grimy schmutz as my gravel bike.
Hey, he's asking about frame material, bring your arguments about brakes to the brake argument thread.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Ti could die in the next generation as it requires a high skill level to build, this may include steel and aluminum mediums.. The new generation of plastic bikes are layered and injected mostly by machine and require minimal skills and or human interaction. For those of us that appreciate craftsmanship, a hand built bike will always be preferred/desired, regardless of brake type.. Long Live Ti!!!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Bite me.

+1 Each time I looked around the walls moved in a little tighter.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
I raced a couple of crits today on a soulless, plastic bike with ti bolts. While warming up for the P1/2 I noticed that one of the course marshals had a Ti bike. Older dude. We didn't talk about his bike but he looked like a happy person.

There might be a moral in there somewhere.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
There are more custom builders doing Steel and Titanium than stars in the sky. Well not quite but there are a great deal. Smaller market share than Carbon but not going away anytime soon. I just went for a Firefly myself.

As far as the comment that this is a dying art. Nothing could be further from the truth, there are new guys learning the skills working at companies such as Seven , Independent , Moots , No 22...hell here's a director of custom builders Directory Of Custom American Handmade Road Bike Frame Builders |

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Did a weekend ride. Youngish guy in his 30's was on a Steel Bedford. The fallacy that young riders go carbon and older ones metal is just that. Maybe tons of cheap carbon with 105 parts out there and the average price for a custom Titanium build is much higher accounts for what you see.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Ti could die in the next generation as it requires a high skill level to build, this may include steel and aluminum mediums.. The new generation of plastic bikes are layered and injected mostly by machine and require minimal skills and or human interaction. For those of us that appreciate craftsmanship, a hand built bike will always be preferred/desired, regardless of brake type.. Long Live Ti!!!
What? Are you telling me our Chinese made CF frames aren't made by talented hand-on craftsmen selected from among the best for their dedication to the art and exceptional skills?

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Cut him some slack. When we were 14, we also thought we knew all there was to know.
Bite me.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Cut him some slack. When we were 14, we also thought we knew all there was to know.
out of curiosity, those saying that Ti is dead and its only carbon, how old are you guys? The only carbon attitude is something I outgrew once I learned more about bikes.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
out of curiosity, those saying that Ti is dead and its only carbon, how old are you guys? The only carbon attitude is something I outgrew once I learned more about bikes.
Not necessarily chronological age...more about riding experience.

Every year on Tour de Nebraska maybe 30% are green to light touring. Last year my Ti Seven was one of maybe 5 metal-bikes out of 300 bikes on the ride. Similar numbers last many years. All the green folks walk into their LBS and get a CF ride, because that is what Trek and Speshy hawk the most.

One newbie woman this year (a 50-something at a guess) was so proud of her thrift...she explained loudly to anyone who would listen how she got fitted at two or 3 stores....then went online and bought her steed that matched for 60% cheaper.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
There might be a moral in there somewhere.
Was the moral when you're too old and weak to race, you'll like Ti?
Or was it when you quit racing you'll finally be happy?

For home frame building Ti poses some difficulties that steel does not. For example you need to flood the interior of the tubes with inert gas, and the Tig welding equipment is more expensive and harder to learn to use well than a brazing torch. From what I have read both steel and carbon(*) seem to be easier for the home frame builder, unless of course you have the equipment and experience for Ti already.

But if it's your dream to build a Ti frame its certainly possible if you put the effort into it.

*- tube to tube construction.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I've ridden with enough riders to see no correlation between bike material and performance. seen some strong riders on Steel bikes more than hold their own. I dropped the weight of my c-59 by about a pound or so, in the process of upgrades. Didn't make much difference.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
If I was told I could only have one more bike, it would be Ti.

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Was the moral when you're too old and weak to race, you'll like Ti?
Or was it when you quit racing you'll finally be happy?
I don't know what to read into it. Another of the marshals was on a tandem. It's funny to see a captain riding with no stoker. When a kid on a skateboard wandered on to the course that guy was pissed. Otherwise, he seemed cool.

I will say that I am lusting after a friend's Baum. Ti, SS, 650B. He won the state championship on it. Very similar to this build:

1 - 20 of 125 Posts