Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a new bike with Shimano105 group......but can get a new rear Ultegra derailleur for $68, would the perfomance upgrade be worth the cost? Or should I just run the 105 until I need a new one, then get the Ultegra?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Wasted $$

hikertoo said:
If I have a new bike with Shimano105 group......but can get a new rear Ultegra derailleur for $68, would the perfomance upgrade be worth the cost? Or should I just run the 105 until I need a new one, then get the Ultegra?
Or just get another 105 in the unlikely event that the one you have wears out before you get rid of the bike. Rear derailleur "upgrades" are basically in name only—from Sora to Dura-Ace, they perform just fine for many, many years. Shift quality (accuracy, speed and feel) is determined by the quality of the shifter first and foremost, then the condition of the cables and cable adjustment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hikertoo said:
I originally planned to upgrade to Ultegra components when my Tiagra shifters and derailleurs wore out. 15,000 miles later, they are still working great. Put your money into wheels and tires if you want a performance upgrade.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't waste your money. You won't notice any difference except your pocket book will be lighter.

Save up for new wheels instead.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just swapped my 105 5600 DR for a 6700 RD. I think the 105 worked better. At best I see/feel no difference. That being said I also swapped my 105 chain, FSA Omega crank & BB, Shimano RS10 wheels, & Maxxis tires for Ultegra 6700 crank, BB, chain, wheels, RD, and Hutchinson Atom Tubless tires. All the Ultegra 6700 parts I swapped has made my bike much better. I don't know if it is one thing or all combined as I swapped everything at once. But the bike is much smoother, a tad faster (I am sure that is the wheel/tire), and quieter. I am glad I did what I did. My 6700 FD is still on back order and my next purchase are the 6700 brifters. I may go all the way and buy 6700 brakes so everything is 6700 and I have a complete parts set on hand to biuld my wife a bike on the cheap. Back to your original question I got my 6700 RD for $55 from Chainreaction which is why I went ahead and bought it. I was already in neck deep so why not. I can't tell it is any better than the 105 RD though unless it somehow contributes to my bike running smoother.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Geez, sounds like you have the parts "bug" too :) I just got my 105 Pedals and Shimano road shoes yesterday, I am finished buying parts for the year now, going to just ride my new Gary Fisher Cronus and enjoy the feeling of being on the road again!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yep i have the parts bug. I bought my Cannondale Synapse 5 (Aluminum) more than a year ago and really like it. I did feel it could be better and decided to start upgrading. Chainreaction has such goood prices on Shimano stuff I decided to go all Ultegra 6700. So far I am pleased. I know I could have sold my bike and bought a new one with Ultegra possibly cheaper but that is a bunch of hassle and a fight with my wife for a new bike. So I decided since I like my bike to do it one piece at a time. I just saved my money to buy most items at once so I could install it all at once and not have to readjust things every time I installed something new. I am about $800 into my parts upgrade so far but I got all new 6700 cranks, BB, RD, FD (backordered), Chain, Cassette, Tubeless wheels, and Hutchinson tires. That's a bunch of stuff. Chainreaction has the 6700 brfiters for around $270 and that is next (& maybe 6700 brakes) but it may be Christmas before I get the $$. After that I am done. The flip side is I will have most all parts to build another bike. My wife has drug her feet about getting into cycling so if I can just find a cheap frame & fork I can put another bike together for her cheap. I am about to post a new question about DR adjustment in regaurds to my new 6700 DR. The issue is part of the reason I belive my 105 DR was about the same. If I can solve this the 6700 DR may be slightly better (but don't expect anything magic if you get a 6700RD)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts