Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it’s a credible case to be made that we are gifted to watch the best cyclist of all time?

I think it's a credible case to be made that Vos is the best cyclist of all time. More than credible - I would say definitely. As to whether or not we are gifted to watch her, I just wish that more of her races were actually available to be watched. I feel somewhat short-changed, not "gifted".

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's a credible case to be made that Vos is the best cyclist of all time. More than credible - I would say definitely. As to whether or not we are gifted to watch her, I just wish that more of her races were actually available to be watched. I feel somewhat short-changed, not "gifted".
Hmm. I get lots of women’s racing. I don’t really watch cross, so I wouldn’t notice if I’m getting it… But road racing, I get enough to follow the women. I have a few subscriptions though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
"best ever" in womens cycling doesn't mean much to anyone outside of a very very small group of people who care about women cycling. In fact, it's hardly worth a discussin to most guys who follow cycling.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"best ever" in womens cycling doesn't mean much to anyone outside of a very very small group of people who care about women cycling. In fact, it's hardly worth a discussin to most guys who follow cycling.
I’m not sure I’m following you? Because the fan base for women’s cycling is smaller, her accomplishments are diminished? Holding 3 World Champions jerseys at once is easier because of the smaller field of riders?

Women’s cycling isn’t worth discussion? Except maybe to a small fragment of cycling fans? I’m sure I’m reading you wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
But "best ever" in cycling, men & women, does mean a lot, to a very very large group of people. Name another sport, practiced by both men and women, where the GOAT is a woman

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But "best ever" in cycling, men & women, does mean a lot, to a very very large group of people. Name another sport, practiced by both men and women, where the GOAT is a woman
Gymnastics.

Reactions: il sogno

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Figure skating. The women regularly get prime time coverage over the men. The women regularly earn more money than the men.

Tennis. The top women here are also getting equal if not more coverage then the top men. And their earnings, after endorsement, are pretty even. During the last US Open, the women's match out ranked the men's match by a wide margin.

Track and field. Top men and women get almost equal coverage (men still leading). Everyone knows who Flojo is and what she did at the 1998 Seoul Olympics.

Marian Vos? Try asking this question to any Cycling Fred and see if he knows, but he'll tell you all the myths about Lance Armstrong.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With all due respect to so many great cyclists, we are living through history. No major discussion even. She is the best ever and it’s by lots. It doesn’t hurt that she’s a total class act.

·
Administrator
13,057 Posts

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best of all time, man or woman? Well if you've been watching Jeopardy, Amy Schneider was finally dethroned yesterday, having racked up $1.4 million over a 40 game win streak. I actually thought that the final question that she missed was pretty easy.
Me too. Bangladesh was a gimme, but hey, that’s for me. I’m a geography junky. But to compare Amy she would have to be that dominant in Jeopardy, Wheel,Price is Right and Are You Smarter Than a 10 Year old or whatever it is...

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
8th CX World Championship. EIGHT! As a kid she was a super strong speed skater and had to pick between skates and the bike.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Certainly great accomplishments, wonderful personality. Best ever? Men and women? I don't think so. Best woman ever? To tell you the truth I'm really not that familiar with the woman, although I am watching a lot of the cross races on youtube and to the extent available I'll be watching the road season. So for sure possibly. But..... check this girl out.https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/10/alfonsina-strada-the-devil-in-a-dress-who-rode-the-worlds-toughest-tour/

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Certainly great accomplishments, wonderful personality. Best ever? Men and women? I don't think so. Best woman ever? To tell you the truth I'm really not that familiar with the woman, although I am watching a lot of the cross races on youtube and to the extent available I'll be watching the road season. So for sure possibly. But..... check this girl out.https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/10/alfonsina-strada-the-devil-in-a-dress-who-rode-the-worlds-toughest-tour/
Jeanie Longo would be a consideration… That’s about it. Longo had her doping scandals, but she dominated the road for a long time. Voss just dominates everything. That’s the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts