Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently picked up an italian built frame (coppi) with a headtube milled for an integrated headset. As the angles in it looked about 45 degrees I assumed I could throw a cane creek IS in there.

Never having installed an integrated headset before I am putting it together and things seem slightly fishey. The bearings when resting in the cups on the bottom and top have a slight amount of play before they hit the walls of the headtube. As this seems like a bad thing in a headset, I am wondering if this headset is milled to the campy standard that seems to use slightly bigger bearings? Is this correct, or do IS bearings fit a wee bit more sloppy?

Chris King it aint...
Thanks-

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Speaking of measuring, I've thought about getting a dial caliper for a long time. One of those tool sale outfits (Cummins) came to town and I had $75 from a returned Christmas present burning a hole in my pocket so I went. I ended up spending most of the money on a variety of stuff and picked up an digital caliper for $15. I was a little skeptical about accuracy and durability so I checked it on some known quantities, including a headtube. The thing was spot on and much easier to use than a dial caliper. I thought I'd only use it occasionally but have found myself using it quite a lot. So far it's been a great purchase and I highly recommend investing in one.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
One of those travelling tool sale outfits. They come to town for a day and set up in the National Guard Armory or some other location with a hall to display their tools. You find what you want, write down the number and pay at the counter. Then you take the receipt out to a semi trailer parked outside where a clerk gets your goods for you and you're on your way. Most of the stuff is second tier tools but they always have some name brand stuff too (Makita, Stanley, etc.) The caliper was their own brand, Cummins, but it looked to be built ok and, as I said, was spot on when tested against a known measurement. I'm surprisingly pleased.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts