Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I live in Ohio - We have just 2 months of summer left this year. I want to get back to biking but I dont have a bike. I can wait until Winter so I can ride starting next year.. Do prices of bikes go down during winter? (December) ?

Thanks

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
of course.

just like outdoor furniture and golf equipment.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
maybe two months of summer but should be at least 4 months of cycling.

Don't wait. Prices may be down in the winter but where you are buying may not play that game and they also may not have your size left by that time. You won't get any deal if you need it ordered. Generally, you'll find odd ball sizes and demo bikes marked down in the winter.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I would think that now is a good time to buy a bike. Just about everyone else who wanted to get a new bike for this year probably already has. So sales should have dropped off, and the shops should be willing to deal.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
After Christmas, things get desperate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys - So I need some serious advice then.. I rode my cheaper bike for 5 years and now looking to buy something I will use for many years so want a very good bike

What will I use bike for?
= I will mostly ride on roads but I want to take a little trip to bit of wilderness may be on uneven gravel roads.. I wont need those mountain bikes - Just easy non risky roding

Whats my budget?
Would like to stay around 1000.. Hop I can get a decent bike

What have I looked so far?
= I went to local bike shops - Their prices are very much fixed.. I went to Specialized, Bmc, Cannondale, Giant stores..

I then looked at BikesDirect site to try and get a motobecane to save money

The I placed order for Nashbar but I got nervous coz I did not know if I can trust nashbar?

I then looked at ebay - BMC TeamMachine ALR01 msrp 2100 but it just sold for $1100..

Im not a newbie on bikes - I have been riding all my life and went to school on a bike.. But I never owned an expensive bike.. This time I need a nice bike coz last month I got kicked at soccer and want to make safer cycling my hobby sport ..

Thanks again !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Kinda depends....if you are open to options and flexible now could be a good time for many different bikes. Check Backcountry.com for 1. Often you can find pretty good ridley's with 105 groupsets..Shipping is $50 in the US.

Lots of manufacturers are coming out with 18 models now...thread on Emonda is one. Trick is find a year or 2 year old model that is in your size that isn't sold out. If you can find it you can often make a good deal as no one wants old stock swinging around.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I need a nice bike coz last month I got kicked at soccer and want to make safer cycling my hobby.
do a lot of people die playing soccer?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
maybe two months of summer but should be at least 4 months of cycling.

Don't wait. Prices may be down in the winter but where you are buying may not play that game and they also may not have your size left by that time. You won't get any deal if you need it ordered. Generally, you'll find odd ball sizes and demo bikes marked down in the winter.
Dress properly, and there's a ton more than that. ;>)

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
You keep dropping names of bikes that you could NEVER take off road, yet you say:

"I will mostly ride on roads but I want to take a little trip to bit of wilderness may be on uneven gravel roads.. I wont need those mountain bikes - Just easy non risky roding"

So, having said THAT, I'd suggest you either buy a cyclocross bike, or just cheap-out and buy some generic hybrid. None of those road bikes you listed should ever be driven on gravel trails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You keep dropping names of bikes that you could NEVER take off road, yet you say:

"I will mostly ride on roads but I want to take a little trip to bit of wilderness may be on uneven gravel roads.. I wont need those mountain bikes - Just easy non risky roding"

So, having said THAT, I'd suggest you either buy a cyclocross bike, or just cheap-out and buy some generic hybrid. None of those road bikes you listed should ever be driven on gravel trails.
I thought the same and decided to buy a road bike this year only for roads and buy a trail bike next year.. Spending money on bikes that do not specialize in anything is waste - Im sure many will agree that its better not to multipurpose bikes if possible.. Especially when I get a 2017 new $2100 BMC bike for 1100.. Was a no brainer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.