Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride six days a week and use Fridays as my rest day. In Texas, spring time has a lot of wet weather so I might take another day off because of rain. When I attempt to ride on a Friday, I have no energy or motivation. Is this in my head or is my body geared for Fridays off?

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
I think your right

My commute to work is my mental block. Early season riding consists mainly of rides to work, 50 mile RT. As soon as I get an opportunity to do a longer ride I really hit a wall at that 50 mile mark. It takes several 60 mile plus efforts to break out of that.
Do other riders go through this or is it all in my head?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mainframe said:
With little or no energy/motivation of Fridays, I suspect your body is saying "I need a blow". Six days are plenty.
I agree but my problem is even if I take Tue and Wed off because of rain, my Friday rides still suck. It's like my body is saying "you're not supposed to be riding today".

I've used Fridays off for over 3 years...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I agree but my problem is even if I take Tue and Wed off because of rain, my Friday rides still suck. It's like my body is saying "you're not supposed to be riding today".

I've used Fridays off for over 3 years...
Interesting thought. I use Mondays as my day off because I ride so hard on the weekends....but even when I don't ride on Sunday for whatever reason, I just can't seem to get up for riding on Mondays.

·
It's a Sledgehammer
547 Posts
I hear ya

I too ride 6 days and take Fridays off. Sometimes weather or other circumstances keep me off the bike a different day, and I'll ride Friday to "make it up" but I never do as good. Strange, I can be ready in all aspects, but it's a Friday and I'll be off. Bad karma maybe?

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Trying to ride on an monday would be fruitless by now- my legs no better than that.

:)

·
RoadBikeReview Member
394 Posts
I've found the same thing happens to me. What helps (assuming your schedule permits) is to vary the rest day. I vary both the rest day as well as any lifting days (during winter months). Otherwise, I have the mindset that I'm supposed to be kicking back on my rest day and it's hard mentally and physically to get going.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Depends on the time of year..

During the summer I will usually ride everyday of the week, accept Sunday's. If I am doing a lot of long rides I will take every 4th day off and ride in sets of days of 3. Sometimes I will ride the 4th day and just make it a short ride. During the winter, I ride whenever it's not raining, it could be everyday, or I might just ride a couple a days a week. But to answer your question, my body usually does not like to ride on Sundays, but this time of year I'll get out whenever I can. Being retired and not having to do the "W" thing, makes life a little bit easier. I just at mercy to the weather. I just have to know when my body needs rest. Probably Friday is your wind down day and you're bone tired from working all week, so if your body says don't ride, don't. I look at a cycling week as riding 6 days in a 7 day period, it doesn't matter which day I take off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
So Dave, does this mean you are ready to ride tomorrow morning? I think I will be wussy and wait until the temp is up to 55 ;) and then ride out toward Eagle Mountain Lake.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dave that's gotta be a total mental thing. I don't think I have to say it but the mind controls the body, and on friday your mind is telling your body that "ain't no riding to be done today." Funny, on Friday nights when I'm out I usually run into a wave of "tired" at about 11pm-I guess my mind is telling my body that I have an 80 mile ride at 8am, or maybe it's the Hennepins telling me that it's time to go to bed... ha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts