Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these shots last week. I sometimes forget that this place is like no other so I decided to skip the pretty scenery and take some shots of the man made scenery. The garage and grill is kind of cool. The busy area I ride through in the afternoon is called Waipahu. It is mostly Filipino. The island is a melting pot of culture but you find pockets concentrated ethnicities.

· Non non normal
10,185 Posts
I am kind of surprised at all the flat and low pitched roofs.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zampano said:
Waipahu? Where's your favorite place for buying Balut?

I think that you have to travel to the Philipines to get that. For those of you who don't know what a balut is, please google it since it is close to the dinner hour for alot of viewers and I don't want to describe the process. You start with an egg, I will give you that much.

· Registered
62 Posts
bigbill said:
I think that you have to travel to the Philipines to get that. For those of you who don't know what a balut is, please google it since it is close to the dinner hour for alot of viewers and I don't want to describe the process. You start with an egg, I will give you that much.
Oh you dont have to travel to PI to get balut, most oriental groceries here in Everett, WA have them..the 8 day balut and the other...17? With feathers!

BALUT

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crisbay said:
Oh you dont to travel to PI to get balut, most oriental groceries here in Everett, WA have them..the 8 day balut and the other...17? With feathers!

BALUT
I was thinking along the lines of 3 month to 5 year balutes, the kind they bury in the ground. I have never had the desire to be a blood eater.

· Registered
62 Posts
bigbill said:
I was thinking along the lines of 3 month to 5 year balutes, the kind they bury in the ground. I have never had the desire to be a blood eater.
Yup, you're referring to what they call the century egg and some traditionalists still bury them. Preserved in horse urine!! At least that myth still lives.

Well, some asian foods are not well known for their looks and smell..the durian fruit, kimchi and add dinuguan (Pork blood stew) to the mix.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
They sure don't have to worry about snow.

bigrider said:
I am kind of surprised at all the flat and low pitched roofs.
A couple of degrees of slope with a lot of tar and gravel are enough for rain.

In some ways it sure looks like a really wealthy 3rd world country.

I do miss the food-even the blood stew.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Three "foods" to politely but firmly decline if offered by a Filipino:

1. Balut (partially developed boiled duck egg)
2. Aso (dog)
3. Bagoong (salted, fermented fish)

That does look like an interesting place to ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.