Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ISM Adamo Road Saddle too wide at the nose so when you are pedaling you feel it rubbing against the side of your legs? I am a pretty big guy with big leg muscles, I'm not skinny, so my legs are wider, I'm 6'0" 210 lbs.

Do you sit on the wide part of the saddle or on the nose?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
lawrence said:
Is the ISM Adamo Road Saddle too wide at the nose so when you are pedaling you feel it rubbing against the side of your legs? I am a pretty big guy with big leg muscles, I'm not skinny, so my legs are wider, I'm 6'0" 210 lbs.

Do you sit on the wide part of the saddle or on the nose?
You actually sit wherever it is is most comfortable for you to be honest.

That is, for some, right at the edge whilst for others, right back where their sit bones are in contact most.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I started to post a thread about saddle position then I Googled Ism Adamo. http://www.ismseat.com/. This is an unconventional tri saddle, made for the rider to be seated in a forward position. They are always trying to come up with a new shape for saddles. I also clicked on a review on slowtwitch.com and one of the complaints is it is to wide in the nose. I'm curious, do you have a problem using a conventional saddle or was this recommended to you because you have a problem?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Trying to prevent prostrate problems

1) I'm trying to prevent prostrate problems. My gastroentrologist and my internist says my prostrate is slightly enlarged.
2) So I was looking at the ISM and SMP saddles
3) My gastroent when I went for a colonscopy couple months ago recommended that I find a different saddle because my prostrate is slightly enlarged. He's also a bike rider.
4) When I ride a long distance my hemaroids start hurting. The gastroent says I should be sitting in hot water.
5) I don't want to be sitting on the nose of a saddle nor do I want the saddle to be rubbing the inside of my legs.
6) I'm currently riding a Selle Italia with a cut out in the middle. The saddle is comfortable. I probably have 9,000 miles on it or close to it.
7) I tend to like my saddle tilted slightly up.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saddle is tearing

Dinosaur - I don't disagree with you but my saddle is tearing and coming off the base. I have it glued with construction adhesive which is working out pretty good. And then I was told to relieve my prostrate because it's slightly enlarged and the doctor says you don't want problems with it.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
This is a somewhat controversial position, and of course all butts are different, but I'm not a believer in cutout saddles. As I gauge it, that decreases the surface area, increasing the amount the remaining bits 'dig in'. IOW, would you rather sit straddling a telephone pole or the guy wire that holds it up? (OK, it'd be tough to pedal around a phone pole, but for sitting comfort and prostate protection...)

For my money, a saddle that is fit to support your sit bones properly and gets the center out of the way is the thing. For my bottom, that's the aliante, though there are several others I feel OK with. I've tried several cutout saddles, and have never found one that didn't give me more perineal pressure than a similarly shaped full-body saddle.

I've never tried the ISM saddles, but they don't look like a solution to me. The back part seems too angular to support the sit bones properly, and the nose looks rather wide. However, if it's indeed meant and used in a tri position and that front end is relatively flexible, I could imagine it working for some folks.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Saddles

I'm no medical doctor. I was told years ago that I have a slightly enlarged prostate, I think that's normal for most males over the age of 45. If it gives you problems when you sit on your saddle then that's another thing. Saddles are a very personal thing. I have a collection of them sitting in large cardboard box packed away in my garage. If I play with the position enough I can get most of them to work for me. Some eat away at my shorts and I dump them. I have never used a saddle with a cut-out, but that's not to say it won't work for you. You could always order one from an online bike store such as Performance, who has a no questions asked return policy and try a new one. If you live close to a Performance store you can have it shipped there and not pay for shipping.

When you Google topics like this the most common cure is saddle position. Use a seatpost with a two bolt clamp so you can dial in the perfect tilt. I like to get my saddles as level as possible.

It sounds like that ISM Adamo is not the saddle for you.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've ridden nothing but Adamos since my prostate cancer surgery in 2006. I have about 12,000 miles on them. Love them. I am a big boy too, and I don't even know that the nose is there in any sort of bad way. The sit bones are on gel, the rest is foam to protect blood flow. They are terrific for prostate relief, bar none.

People who criticize them, I've found, have never tried them by and large. Try one. If you don't like, email me.

Edit: Email me because I have turned loads of people on to them and can always use more for a good price.

I don't think Performance has picked them up. But eBay often has good deals. I just goggled them and found the Road model for as cheap as $80 on line. The Typoon, which retails cheaper and wider sitting area, is one I haven't tried. I use the racing and road models and love them. I won't use anything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts