Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I used to soak my chains in the good stuff - diesel fuel. :eek: :eek: :eek:

No whining - just looking for suggestions for a solid alternative K :D

Any body got some better solvent/lube to clean chains with? I'll be having none of this water + citrus de-greaser BS, I have the BIG bottle of that crap. It's LAME, you have to rinse with some harsh stuff like brake parts cleaner to displace the water before you can lube. Probably more envrio unfriendly than the diesel. And the BPC is bad for the steel to boot.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
. I take a rag wet with WD40 or odorless mineral spirits, and wipe the chain down while rotating the cranks. When it's pretty clean I use "home brew" mixed 3 parts odorless min. spirits to 1 part oil. What kind of oil? Pretty much whatever I happen to have on hand. We're not lubing parts on the space shuttle y'know. Motor oil 5W-20 usually, because that's what my car takes. Using an old catsup squeeze bottle, I drizzle it on the chain, aiming for the middle where the rollers are. I apply it pretty heavily. The OMS will dissolve and float the dirt off the chain, then evaporate and leave the oil as a lubricant. It also thins the oil so that it penetrates the tiny spaces between the rollers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting - I too use WD40 to clean cassette cogs and chain rings. However I'm not keen on mixing the OMS and oil, or even WD40 and oil; would that cause the oil to break down? This is how I arrived at diesel as an all in one "solution". Break Free CLP is also nice but too pricey to soak chains in.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Recently used this "trigger" chain cleaner with White Lightening Dry Degreaser....works great, cleans fast, dries fast....done in a minute. There is basically no residue on the chain and it's ready to lube (I use ProLink) right away. There is no water used to rinse.

I won't use it every time I clean / lube, just when the chain is grungy.

http://www.performancebike.com/bike..._1030280_-1_1522501_20000_400042#ReviewHeader

The reviews are similar to my experience. I guess if you're a racer or overly OCD there are more thorough ways (i.e., taking off the chain) , but personally I want to spend the least amount of time that
I can cleaning.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
You might try Purple Power Cleaner or Castrol Super Clean.
Both are very good at cleaning your chain.
Spray on a rag and spin chain through it,

john

·
Registered
614 Posts
I pull my cassettes and chain off nearly once a week on big weeks and give them a dip and scrub in the kerosene bath..(message to self...blow them off with the air line next time) than re install and lube either with Pro Link or Pedros Ice something.

Whilst chains off also use a bit of kerosene on a rag and do the chainrings.. Not a fan of taking them on and off all the time.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Odorless mineral spirits (OMS) are a better alternative to diesel fuel. Diesel fuel stinks and doesn't do any better job. Store the used OMS in the bottle and let the crud settle. Pour off the cleared OMS into another bottle when you want to clean your chain the next time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts