Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I S P's?

we're attempting to scale back our expenses, especially on utilites. the first big step is to get rid of Cox, which is a huge money pit ($220 a month for tv/dvr basic, phone (2 lines, call waiting, caller id), and internet).

we're going dish for $25/month for tv and going TMO @ home for $10 for unlimited local/long distance. the TMO thing requires internet, and about $40 of the $220 is internet...and half-assed service at best.

so, what do you use?

·
(not a real racer)
482 Posts
We have AT&T DSL and have had zero complaints. Yeah it could be faster but meh whatever.

Of course now that I've said that it'll probably take a crap tonight.....

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have comcast internet with basic cable. vonage for phone. i think the total comes out to about $85/mo, but we paid 1 year in full 9 months ago for vonage and got slightly better pricing. I think they are $20/mo. although we are probably going to get comcast phone soon and ditch the vonage.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
What's TMO?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Directv for TV, but we've got HD & Tivo. About 80 bucks. Interwebs through the local cable company for 30 bucks. Phone is Mobile only for about 60.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
We get everything but our cell phone through Charter at a pretty reasonable cost and with pretty decent service. We've got HD cable with a DVR, 10mb internet, local and long distance home phone for $140 a month.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I get cable-based internet from Comcast for $45 a month, and my smartphone is my only phone. TV, music and movies I just download free if I need to. I don't have a television. At first it stunk because I was missing sports, but I've gotten more enjoyment from watching them in person and in public places more than I ever did watching them from my couch. YMMV, but having only internet + mobile works great for me. Other than that, I take some common-sense measures to conserve energy - things like only running the washer/dryer/dishwasher a couple of times each week, and using climate control sparingly. The rest of my frugality measures involve personal choices about purchasing and consumption.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am going back to Cox for internet for about $50 a month. No tv service. Hulu.com and Netflix provides me with more TV then I need. i have also gone to T-mobile at home for a home number.

I had Qwest DSL and it sucked big time

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try Earthlink if they are in your area.
It puts a layer between your and the phone/cable company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts