Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had a lot of chain drops lately. A whole lot. I have started riding compact this year, and just today on a 25 kilometers ride my chain dropped 5 times. although usually it's not THAT bad.

So is it just a regular issue with compact cranks? Or is it the works of a poor design on SRAM's compact cranks? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

I'm thinking about reverting to 53-39. I'll just have to use more steam to go uphill, but it will be better on flats and downhill. Besides, having to change gears like mad in the rear everytime that I change gears up front is a minor irritant which would get cured by this change. That, and hopefully, the damned chain drop.

As such, I've been spotting square taper Campagnolo Record alloy cranks (no $$ for carbon) as of late on e-Bay and the prices are pretty good. Which brings me to the point : Will a Record crank on a SRAM drivetrain work just fine? I've heard that they were compatible, I just wanted to make sure that there's no glitch whatsoever with that setup. If Campagnolo cranks + SRAM derailleurs = joy + no hassle, then I'll make the change at some point this summer.

I'd like to hear about all those mix&match dudes out there who have tried it. Worth a shot?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Works Fine

My guess is that the front derailleur just needs a little tweaking. Most likely the "Low" limit screw needs to be adjusted.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

I used to use a Force compact crankset with Force derailleurs and did not have any trouble with the chain dropping. I did end up changing the small chainring to a 36t but that was just personal preference. My friend is riding a 50/34 with no problems.

Again, I think you just need to make some minor adjustments to your components to make it work. As far as what gear ratios will work best for you, that is a matter of preference.

·
Registered
398 Posts
ditto that.

regarding the limit screw adjustment on the ft. derailleur. If you are dropping your chain it more than likely isn't due to the fact that it is a compact.

I've had good luck mixing and matching cranks among the major brands. Right now I'm running a campy ut compact on my rival equipped bike, and a DA crank on my Red/Force bike with great results in both cases.:)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I agree with it likely being with a configuration problem--not a compact problem. Either the low limit or the height of the derailleur in relation to the chainrings. I ran a Force compact all last year and didn't have a SINGLE chain drop. I've switched to Red this year, and so far haven't had one with it, either.

Take your bike to a different shop and have them look at it--I'm sure some experienced help can resolve your problem without swapping your crank.

In any case, Campy would work fine. It seems the Fulcrum (Campy) cranks are a popular alternative for the custom high-end Red-equipped bikes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know if this is an issue with your setup, but there are two positions to set the FD. My New Red setup, on a new Orbea came with the FD set for a compact from the LBS (on a 53/39) guess they didn't read the instructions, and it never really shifted smoothly. Not sure how much of a difference it makes across the board, but changing the position fixed the prob. Side note; the RD, needed to be replaced, for reasons unknown to me SRAM thought the chronic shifting/tuning problems problems were a defect, and they were correct. New one is flawless.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

Well, thanks to you all guys. Yes, if I can save money from NOT buying a new crankset, I'll be very happy. I'll look into the adjustment screws (or more accurately, have qualified guys do it).

I may still go back to 53-39 for the ratios, but who knows, perhaps I'll get to like the compact's gearing ratios if the chain doesn't drop? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.