Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fork is new and recently installed. Brakes are new as well. Total miles on them are now about 40-50 miles. Under moderate to hard braking, the fork just vibrates and rocks back and forth scaring the crap out of me. It is not smooth at all. I have not tried other brakes with this fork nor have I tried different pads. It feels like the fork is going to break. I am not heavy, only 175lbs. fully geared up.

The steerer tube is 1" and everything was set up professionally. The effect has been getting progressively worse. The shop had no idea other than to put the old fork on to see if the brakes still reacted this way, or to put some different brakes on the Alpha Q fork to see how they reacted.

Anyone else have an issue like this or hear of anything like this?

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
Fork is new and recently installed. Brakes are new as well. Total miles on them are now about 40-50 miles. Under moderate to hard braking, the fork just vibrates and rocks back and forth scaring the crap out of me. It is not smooth at all. I have not tried other brakes with this fork nor have I tried different pads. It feels like the fork is going to break. I am not heavy, only 175lbs. fully geared up.
I've got a 1-1/8 steerer Alpha Q with Avid Tri-Aligns, am pushing 200 and sometimes get the BIG shudder under very heavy braking. I've got (well worn) Kool Stop salmon pads. When I get the flare up, I can back off the braking and modulate my pull a little better and this mitigates the shudder. I don't get it at all when I've got the system well set up -- toe in, newer aligned pads. And braking is super smooth in the wet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Bikeman.com which is where I bought the stuff from. The guy I talked to suggested cutting the ends of the pads down so that they are shorter and then using emmory paper to sand down the rims which are also new. He said that it is true it is relatively common and that certain rims are more apt to add to the problem it than others. Mavic Open Pros are better than most he said. The problem comes from the groves that are cut into the rim and the long pads usually. The long pads sometimes don't brake well with those type rims. I have an FSA wheel set.

But thanks PBB, I will try the toe in first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Toe in and cutting the pads should solve the problem 100 percent. I think nearly everyone on the bikeman team runs neo retros, and the shuddering is a problem because they are so damn powerful. Luckily they are easy to adjust the toe in on.

Also, you might want to think about finding a new shop in your town...if they couldnt tell you to toe in the breaks more to get rid of the shuddering, then I certainly wouldnt trust them to do a bigger job on my bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.