Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Newbie to the forum and I'm looking forward to getting a lot of great info from here.

I recently purchased a brand new '15 Cannondale CAAD10 105 5 bike and took it for several spins since. Awesome bike to say the least.

I noticed something fishy when I had it in the bike stand. When I would freewheel with the cranks backwards (with the chain in the small chainring up front and the largest, most inboard cog in back), the chain seems to get hung up and the freewheeling isn't as smooth (in fact, it actually stops the cranks from pedalling backwards).

When i inspected where it seems to be getting hung up, it looks like the jockey pulley and the large cog are almost 'crushing' the chain between them, almost like the 2 are meshing together. It doesn't look like there is much, if any, of a gap between the large cog and the jockey pulley.

I suspected it might be the B screw, and it looks like it's turned all the way out.

It's a brand new bike, so I can assume we can discount chainwear and cassette wear.

I wanted to throw it up on the board here to get some opinions of what you think. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Turning the B screw in will create a gap between the cog and jockey wheel. Or take it back to the shop you bought it from, and tell them they didn't adjust it properly.
x2 on the B tension screw. Turn it in just enough to get the jockey pulley off the cassette cog, video clip of how mine is adjusted below:
https://youtu.be/Zs9GWCjuUss?t=205

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all, sorry for my delay in my response. I appreciate all the replies, and this past Friday was the first chance I had to get the bike back into the stand. Just like a charm, I was able to tighten the b tension screw maybe 5-6 turns and after some trial and error, was able to dial it in. No more crushing the chain between the jockey pulley and largest cog and the freewheeling is better.

Proud to say this just boosted my confidence for doing more wrenching on my bike! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts