Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the Aids LifeCycle ride last week. We had strong crosswinds on Day 1 (85 mile day) and about 15 miles into day 2 i started having a little pain with each pedal stroke on the outside of my right knee. Sports Med said that it was common because of the body fighting against the cross winds and using different muscles, etc. We don't have crosswinds here in Los Angeles, or at least not what we had in Mid California.

I would ride as long as i could each day and then when it would be too painful, i'd stop and rest.

My question is, after the ride, i stayed of the bike for about 5 days and then rode lightly last night. About 10 miles in, the pain started to come back. So, how long does it usually take for the IT Band to get better? I hate being off my bike but need to heal properly so i can start working hard again.

Btw, never had any knee issue ever before. Always stretched before, during and after a ride.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Soon and never

stevo4 said:
Just finished the Aids LifeCycle ride last week. We had strong crosswinds on Day 1 (85 mile day) and about 15 miles into day 2 i started having a little pain with each pedal stroke on the outside of my right knee. Sports Med said that it was common because of the body fighting against the cross winds and using different muscles, etc. We don't have crosswinds here in Los Angeles, or at least not what we had in Mid California.

I would ride as long as i could each day and then when it would be too painful, i'd stop and rest.

My question is, after the ride, i stayed of the bike for about 5 days and then rode lightly last night. About 10 miles in, the pain started to come back. So, how long does it usually take for the IT Band to get better? I hate being off my bike but need to heal properly so i can start working hard again.

Btw, never had any knee issue ever before. Always stretched before, during and after a ride.
I have had ITB problems for ten years. You did the right thing by staying off the bike for a while. Now it's time to stretch, then stretch more. If I quit doing my stretching, then the ITB problems resurface. As long as I stretch the ITB, then I'm OK. For more info go to :http://howtostretch.com/iliotibialstretches.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
remember to ice and massage as well. Massaging prior to stretching breaks up scar tissue. I've had ITB problems for the last few months as well. I stretch 2-4 times a day, for about 10 mins each time. One when I wake up in the morning, before exercise and after, then about an hour before I go to sleep.

OTOH, i found that biking was good recovery for my issues, as they were caused by running. Make sure to stay with a high cadence and pedal in a circle. Excess force on the downstroke or prolonged time climbing in a high gear out of the saddle will do a good amount of damage. Keeping your butt on the seat and spinning that low gear won't do any harm.

Good luck, it's a serious PIA.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i dont think it's the cross winds that did IT

stevo4 said:

IMO. Been there, done that, have the scars.

Cross winds most likely made you work harder than normal and this tends to flush out problems with your position on the bike.

ITB problems most likely mean the seat it too high or the cleats angle is not quite right (heels to far out?). Read Andy Pruitt book called Medical Guide for Cyclists. Highly recommended. Yes, stretch etc but think prevention first, cure second.

Furthermore if the problem is only on one side (right only?) then you probably have assymetry such as right leg is shorter or you drop the left leg/hip which causes right leg to overextend etc. Drop the seat 3-5mm and see if it helps. You might need to drop it even more than 5mm but try 3-5mm at a time and reassess. Best to test it on a moderate hill of about half a mile long and force a moderate-hard-ish gear at ~75-80rpm. Both feet at bottom of the pedal stroke (at 6pm) should feel smooth, powerful and controlled. No jerking.

I had ITB problems for a while and only when I had expert bicycle fitter sort out my saddle fore/aft and cleat position and saddle height the problems went away.

good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah I got this when I was runner way back when and I still to this day have a stiff knee when I wake up or sit in an awkward postion for a long time. Like everyone else said just rest it and ice it.

I've never run into this when cycling though (just running) so maybe as acid_rider said you could use a good fitting.

Hope everything works out and you feel better soon. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.