Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...much. but i tell ya what - i love this "june gloom". i call it "the calm before the sun".

woke up at 5:30, about a half hour before my alarm. hopped on the Soma and pedaled to work early. 19 miles in a heavy cool mist - it was heavenly!

didn't have a camera on the ride, but here's a couple snapshots from the office. can't see the hollywood sign or the observatory. no one in the rooftop pools either.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
e.c.r.

normally i keep the office shades closed in a vain attempt to keep out the incessant sun. but on days like this i throw those blinds wide open (ok - maybe i don't actually throw the blinds)! i find it easier to concentrate on work when the weather's gloomy.

can you tell i have east coast roots?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I'm enjoying the June Gloom, too. My tomato plants don't like it too much, though.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pegasus

toomanybikes said:
what building is that with the rooftop lap pool??
that's Pegasus apartments on the corner of wilshire and flower. sometimes there's a good 'view' on a warm sunny afternoon. in a month we'll move up another 10 floors or so.

just north, out of the photo, is The Standard and their rooftop pool & bar. i hear it's hip - tragically hip. Double-A and i are likely too rooted for the scene. heck, I can't even spell The Standard in upside down text like they use on their signs...

nice to hear MB1 thinks of rescuing us over here. i checked my rope ladder but it's not long enough. maybe i can catch a ride down with the window cleaners...

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I hear ya. I savor every day the marine layer slides over the Valley, since it'll be cool and calm. It's all the people who whine about the "gloom" who'll be whining the loudest about the triple-digit temps we'll have after Coastal Eddy ends his visit.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Standard

ispoke said:
just north, out of the photo, is The Standard and their rooftop pool & bar. i hear it's hip - tragically hip. Double-A and i are likely too rooted for the scene. heck, I can't even spell The Standard in upside down text like they use on their signs...
I'm not too big into the 'See and Be Seen" scene, but I gotta admit, the rooftop bar at The Standard is a pretty great location. Open air on a warm night, 360 degree views of high-rises, a pool, and little UFO-looking pods with water beds in them make for an interesting night. It's great at sunset too.

I've been there dressed up, valet parking the car, doing the whole "show". And I also cruised right up front once on my orange fur covered fixie after a night ride and got the "you're not welcome here, freak" looks from the staff. Hehehe.... I love pulling up to these trendy joints on my bike, weaving in between the Bentleys and Lambos. The people watching is top notch!

don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful,
HW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.