Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Farley 7. I know Trek makes good bikes, especially when you buy them hardly used for less than half of new. Them 4.7" tires are huge, the steering feels like pushing a riding lawn mower. Now we just need some snow, we are plumb out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Can confirm: Fat bikes indeed float:
a multi-dimensional video with twists and turns like any classic story. i'm on the edge of my saddle. tragically, a tale of a cheap bike dying in salt water, NL would say "it's better to burn out than rust away". somehow, the rider does both. appreciate that he cared about the consequences, even on a POS bike that will now die a slow death of oxidation. thumbs down: the rider blamed the gears; next time try surfing with a singlespeed.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
At least you won't have to roll that one around in flour.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
You should have at least one big spring snow yet to come, to put it through its paces. Get some bar mitts for it (good time for sale on those), and you will be ready for anything.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of lightly used ones out there the next couple of years. Other than those who use them for winter commuting, they seem to be used very occasionally by most who have one.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea up here in the Midwest they are popular, I bought it just for a fun bike. No way I'd pay full price. I might do some gravel grinding with it and try summer mountain biking with different tires. Just pedaling and steering the thing is a workout, I don't know how people race them, especially singlespeeded. It's still just over 28 pounds so it's not a lightweight.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Yea up here in the Midwest they are popular, I bought it just for a fun bike. No way I'd pay full price. I might do some gravel grinding with it and try summer mountain biking with different tires. Just pedaling and steering the thing is a workout, I don't know how people race them, especially singlespeeded. It's still just over 28 pounds so it's not a lightweight.
Nice bike! I have a 5 and kinda wish I'd gone for the 7. CF fork, 1X. I'm like 32lbs!! Whatever... it's a riot to ride. I don't do gravel or single track hardly at all, I'll do more technical stuff, it does great with rocks and roots. Snow when we have it and plenty of sand! I've raced it once, 14 miles in soft beach sand on a windy AF March day last year. Thinking of doing it again this year. It was hard. The winner was actually a pro mtb guy from Scott there doing like a demo/promo for a new model... some of the locals stayed with him for 10 miles then he was gone.

Oh, and I LOVE that color!! !

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Can confirm: Fat bikes indeed float:

This is AWESOME! I could see me doing this! I see Fishing trawlers around here get that effect when bay riding but on a much smaller scale. I have been near waist high, blind sided by ocean waves, more than a few times. So far the bike is no worse for the wear. I've ridden in ocean water just under the hubs for a moment or two. Haven't even cleaned the bike or anything. It's a little less cornered in sand than usual right now because I was just snow riding a weekend ago. I really like riding fat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great looking bike! I've got two fatties and love them both. Latest is a Trek Farley 9.6 and I love it.
I will (possibly) be racing mine in about 3 weeks, but we'll have to see, based on the ground conditions. Here (west central WI) we pretty much have no more snow - got about 1" of rain today. This will be my first race so I assume if there is no snow, they probably won't want us to race in the mud (Fat Bike Birkie).
You can use it year-round - I do. I change between my road, my MTB & my fat bike(s). It definitely "feels" different in the dirt than a regular MTB. The big thing is to get the right tire pressure. Too much and you'll bounce all over the place - the tires feel like big balloons. But "just right" and you'll have grip for days, plus when you go downhill that extra rotational weight makes you go faster (or maybe it just feels like you're going faster).

Congrats! Hope you like it.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wonderful ride tonight after work. We had about an 8" base of heavy wet snow that firmed up, then it started snowing a few more inches of fluffy stuff on top of that. 12.4 miles took 1:45 as I broke a lot of trail. Some of my tracks were 4" deep, it was slow going.

Just me and another critter:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts