Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another reason to blow red lights. Yesterday I waited for the light to change. I was on my road bike and when I started riding I slipped off the outside of my right pedal and ran the pedal all the way up the inside of my shin. ( "HOLY MOTHER OF... !!" )That hurt... ... a lot.

My Candy C's have been giving me problems lately. I've regreased both pairs that I use regularly so they're smooth but I think the spring area is worn. One of them rattles when you take it off the bike and shake it in your hand. Anybody ever wear out a Candy pedal?

More info: I've ridden one set of Candy C's on my fixed for almost 2 years now, daily.

Arby

LOL... This photo begs for several "two right feet" remarks:

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
That was from a pedal scrape???

gotta be the worst ever in the history of riding, even when those bear trap pedals were around.

OK, I'll start...
So, with when you buy shoes, do you have to buy two pair? What do you do with the left ones?

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
The springs on my right candy pedal rattle. I unclip on that side so maybe that has something to do with it. I talked to CB about it and they said that the tolerances are not that tight on their mtb pedals to allow for mud to clear. The rattle doesn't change with a rebuild kit or greasing. With the exception of the one spectacular bearing failure, my candy pedals have performed flawlessly. The left pedal needs grease once a month due to a crash last year that scraped the end of the pedal up so that the cap doesn't seal. Ugly but functional. 13K on them so far with two rebuilds.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
You can probably send them in to CB for a replacement part? I actually need to send in a pair that sheared on one side of the eggbeater. They've been super cool/easy to deal with for me. Haven't sent in a pair for repair yet, but I imagine it'll be fine. You said you had two pair right? So just keep one set at home for riding, etc.

·
Polka Power
1,348 Posts
Man I don't even want to think about that.

For years I used shark bite platforms (resistant to clipless at the time) and my shins are still sensitive. Too many chunks taken out...bone chips maybe....I don't know but it sure hurts extra bad if I hit them now.

That being said...that's pretty impressive for a pedal with no ""teeth"!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CB is good to me.

allison said:
You can probably send them in to CB for a replacement part? I actually need to send in a pair that sheared on one side of the eggbeater. They've been super cool/easy to deal with for me. Haven't sent in a pair for repair yet, but I imagine it'll be fine. You said you had two pair right? So just keep one set at home for riding, etc.
I've dealt with CB in the past, when I broke a spring in my egg beater; they replaced the entire set of pedals for me. That was awesome. I used to love their pedals - a lot. I had a pair of egg beaters on my mtb. A set of Candy's on my cross bike and as well as a set on my fixed.

Based on some info gathered just from this thread, I don't think I'll send them in for rework/replacement. I think I'm going to stop using Candy pedals all together. They worked ok for Cyclocross last season but on my fixed gear I've came unclipped way too many times to feel comfy riding them anymore. New cleats don't even help. It's like the springs have lost their spring tension alltogether ( or weekened, or something). I would like to get back to that positively clicked in sound you get from Shimano mtb pedals.

Arby.

The ol' Egg Beater:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
racerx said:
OK, I'll start...
So, with when you buy shoes, do you have to buy two pair? What do you do with the left ones?
I give em' to the one legged captain who lives "down the harbor".

Which reminds me...
"I know a man with a wooden leg named Smith."
... "oh really? What's the name of his other leg?"

I make myself chuckle,
Arby

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
I slipped a pedal jumping down some stairs when I was 16. I still have a scar on the front of my shin that looks like it happened last week. To the bone, and all the way up to my knee. I have a few dimples in my shins from accidents like this. I just couldn't ever get into putting my shin guards on regularly. It was always "Hmmm... I'll just jump this gap real quick" on the way to the store or something.

Thanks for the info on the Candys too... I had actually been looking into a set for my fixie. And if a lighter guy is having trouble with them, I don't think I'd like to see how they'd fair under someone my size.

Bummer about the leg man. Tell people you got it as a Ted Nugent concert. There was a "crossbow incident" and you had to save an orphan. Whatever an orphan would be doing at a Nugent concert... but whatever.... ;)

joe

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoeDaddio said:
Thanks for the info on the Candys too... I had actually been looking into a set for my fixie. And if a lighter guy is having trouble with them, I don't think I'd like to see how they'd fair under someone my size.
It's personal preference really. A lot of my messenger buddies run candy's on their fixed bikes but to be honest, 90% of my messenger friends run flat pedals with toe clips or track pedals. I tried riding flat pedals on my fixed and had serious knee pain immediately. I also just couldn't do it. I couldn't skid and couldn't slow down anywhere near as fast as with clipless pedals. Needless to say, I couldn't go fast because I was afraid of death.

the thing about candy pedals or egg beaters etc... is that there's no "click"... it's the same way with Speedplay pedals. I would come out of my pedal when I'd be powering out of a track stand and one leg would go flailing... mean while cars were bearing down on me. Or I'd be slowing way down from full speed and one leg would come out... then you just look like a big bobbing one legged stork while you fill your undies and try to vear away from traffic... that SUCKS...

I'm deffinitely going back to Shimano but my advice to you is give them a whirl first.. you never know.

Arby.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Arby said:
I'm deffinitely going back to Shimano but my advice to you is give them a whirl first.. you never know.
I'd stick with the Candies for 'cross though. The Shimanos just don't clear mud like Eggs. I raced last season at 185 and I have a *great* start -- got the hole shot the last two races in front of some fast guys -- and I always felt secure. I even use worn cleats for cross so that it's easier to get back in.

As you have experienced, YMMV.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Well, since this is turning into a thread about Crank Bros. pedals...

I had one Candy fall apart very quickly on me. I exchanged the pair for a new set and have had no problems in a couple thousand miles since then. I like them alot, in fact, and have them on my geared bike, my fixed gear, and my wife's bike.

If I have another one break, I'm sure my opinion will change. Of course, they were much less expensive than a lot of the other pedals I looked at. I got two pairs of the cromo version for $50 a pair, so once they wear out or fail I don't think I will complain unless it is a spectacular failure that puts me in harms way.

I also don't have experience with any other clipless pedals, so I can't compare them to anything else.

By the way, that is one mean looking scrape. It hurts just looking at it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sorry about the scrape/gouge. Nice photo, though. I hope you cleaned that thing w/ some gasoline or turpentine. Isn't that what Homer uses on Bart?

BTW- My Candys are more than 2 yrs old, get ridden almost everyday, and haven't given me any problems. I also bought some Quattros & love them.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
nate said:
Well, since this is turning into a thread about Crank Bros. pedals...

I had one Candy fall apart very quickly on me. I exchanged the pair for a new set and have had no problems in a couple thousand miles since then. I like them alot, in fact, and have them on my geared bike, my fixed gear, and my wife's bike.
What are you doing riding your wife's bike? Give it back.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Arby said:
Another thing, when I was considering getting into track racing (didn't cause we welcomed a son and one racing season was as much as I could fit), I was going to get the Shimano SPD-R's since they were hella secure. I used Eggs on the track a few times but I don't think I ever will again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.