Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turns out Winter Garden doesn't get up early on Sunday (but the street fair looked to be good). We fell back on "Plan B" (there's always a "Plan B" with us) and rode a few more miles to breakfast.

It was well worth it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eating in the middle of a ride is always a balancing act between tasty food, hunger and the need to ride another couple of hours in increasing heat. We got it fairly right this time and the miles home flew by.

Time to dust off the bikes and get ready for tomorrows adventure! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
I need to marry myself a woman like that.

Also, road riding on MTBs... wow! (no lockouts extra hardcore workout)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi MB1 and the group, nice pictures! Would love to try that orange dirt road on my cyclecross bike. What road is it or what is it near? I will try to find it on maps.google.

Thanks, Axlenut

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
axlenut said:
... Would love to try that orange dirt road on my cyclecross bike. What road is it or what is it near? I will try to find it on maps.google....
Those are 5 Mile Road, Shell Pond Road and Schofield Road between Avalon and 27 near Lake Louisa.

5 Mile Road was in good shape, Shell Pond was really soft and somewhat hard to ride with out fat tires but the conditions are always changing.

I say go for it!

BTW this is Shell Pond, we had a hard time slogging through this.

·
Registered
503 Posts
MB1 said:
Those are 5 Mile Road, Shell Pond Road and Schofield Road between Avalon and 27 near Lake Louisa.

5 Mile Road was in good shape, Shell Pond was really soft and somewhat hard to ride with out fat tires but the conditions are always changing.

I say go for it!

BTW this is Shell Pond, we had a hard time slogging through this.
Hi MB1 and the group, thanks for the info and the picture of Shell Pond Rd. Looks like a very pretty area and another on my must ride list.

From what I can see in the picture it looks like a grader may have been down the road recently - (the shoulder looks turned up). On another ride recently I caught up to a slow moving grader and it was stunning how soft the dirt road was behind the grader. When I got in front of the grader the road was rough but much harder packed and must easer to ride on.

I recently picked up a full size frame pump for use on my old full stiffly MTB. I have huge 2.2 tires on it and run about 40 PSI in them for the trip on the pavement to the off road area then dump the pressure down to about 15 PSI. Makes a big difference on the off road section then when it's time to head home I pump them back up. Works so well that I might have to try it on my cyclecross bike. Don't think I can drop them down as far as I do on the MTB bike but I will have to play around and see how much it might help if I run into a long soft section of dirt road.

Take care, Axlenut

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
El Funko said:
Curiosity got the better of me, had to check it out on Google Maps. Love the "Hidden Mickey" next to Lake Louisa. I'm guessing that's the for approaching air traffic?
We are no where near a large airport, the only ones that are likely to see it are hot air ballooners who like to launch in the area and the occasional ultralight.

Folks got pretty excited about about Disney World (and all the business and jobs they hoped it would bring) 40 years ago. It worked out ok in the end.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Looks like your retirement has turned out to be miserable. :p

By the way, my in-laws are about retire and move to Clermont. We've already spent Xmas down there with aunts/uncles a couple times over the last 5 years. Now we'll be down there at least once a year. I'll look you up...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts