Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,357 Posts
mohair_chair said:
The ProTour is dead!
Long live the....what?

Wow.

The ProTour was a dumb idea from the get-go.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Long live the....what?
How about the return to the traditional European-based calendar of races that always existed pre-PT and even pre-World Cup (which also denigrated such great races as Fleche-Wallone)?

The UCI thoroughly over-played their hand in their attempt to wrestle the economic control of the sport away from the organizers/owners of the events. Now they're left with a bunch of races in far off places that nobody cares about, and maybe handful of European races that matter. Probably not even those since everyone appears to be abandoning them.

It would also be great to go back to the old UCI-style ranking of all races in the new calendar and return to a decent ranking of riders based on the whole calendar rather than a select few races.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Cycling News quote "UCI President Pat McQuaid told Reuters that all the teams could face exclusion from the UCI". Isn't that what they just did? I know UCI is not just the Pro Tour, but aren't they fed up with the whole UCI?

I wonder if Pat McQuaid has unemployment insurance.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
jd3 said:
Cycling News quote "UCI President Pat McQuaid told Reuters that all the teams could face exclusion from the UCI". Isn't that wat they just did? I know UCI is not just the Pro Tour, but aren't they fed up with the whole UCI?

I wonder if Pat McQuaid has unemployment insurance.
It's great, Pat is going to exclude them from something they don't want to be a part of :)

If a break away organization forms, they will undoubtably organize a world championships which would leave the UCI controlling access to the Olympics and then running the other cycling sports (for now) and maybe the "junior" division of road cyling.

One would think the other organizers who haven't thrown their lot in with the rebels will do so soon, especially if it means the top teams/riders will not be able to race their events unless they do so.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
jd3 said:
I know UCI is not just the Pro Tour, but aren't they fed up with the whole UCI?.
No, I think that overstates the case. Sure, there is friction due to UCI's mishandling of the PT situation. And I suppose there may be some who think the UCI should have shown stronger leadership re: anti-doping.

But dismantling of the UCI is not a proper solution. There still needs to be a rules body, license administration, and common ante-doping administration, all of which the UCI is the appropriate organization.

In any case, McQuaid's threats are hardly worth the breath used to make them, given the lack of enforcement in ASO races this year. What a blowhard.

JSR

· Registered
11,561 Posts
JSR said:
But dismantling of the UCI is not a proper solution. There still needs to be a rules body, license administration, and common ante-doping administration, all of which the UCI is the appropriate organization.

In any case, McQuaid's threats are hardly worth the breath used to make them, given the lack of enforcement in ASO races this year. What a blowhard.

JSR
Until someone creates an alternative organization to do the same. This has happened in many sports over the years.

Until McQuaid is willing to come crawling back to them with his tail between his legs I don't know why the organizers and teams wouldn't just go forward with creating a new organization that will enforce rules that they agree upon. The essence of the UCI's problem was that they had a plan that was really only strongly in their own interest, somewhat in the teams/riders interest, and not at all in the successful organizer's interest.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
The breakaway organization could petition the IOC to take over access to the Olympics, which would almost certainly be granted if the new organization were sufficiently large, well organized, and representative of the majority of the sport. I can't imagine why any pro team would stick with the UCI if this happens.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
mohair_chair said:
The breakaway organization could petition the IOC to take over access to the Olympics, which would almost certainly be granted if the new organization were sufficiently large, well organized, and representative of the majority of the sport. I can't imagine why any pro team would stick with the UCI if this happens.
You would think at some point even Verbruggen's position in the IOC would not be enough to save them.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
Someone please play TAPS :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Until someone creates an alternative organization to do the same. This has happened in many sports over the years.

Until McQuaid is willing to come crawling back to them with his tail between his legs I don't know why the organizers and teams wouldn't just go forward with creating a new organization that will enforce rules that they agree upon. The essence of the UCI's problem was that they had a plan that was really only strongly in their own interest, somewhat in the teams/riders interest, and not at all in the successful organizer's interest.
Sure, it COULD happen. I just don't think it will.

The beef the organizers have is pretty much strictly with the PT. The riders don't hate the UCI, and the teams can't seem to organize a stong emotion on this or any other topic.

It seems to me that replacing the UCI would require a mammoth effort. There is coordination among all the national entities, administration of the various pro levels, interface to WADA (such as it is) and the blood passport (this is huge in my mind - as much as UCI can be criticized for seeming lethargy in the past, they now have the thing well set up and working with multiple entities. Rebuilding that would be complicated.), mountain biking, track, women's racing, etc.

Even if someone tried to replace just part of that - let's say ASO's races become a "league" - there's a mountain of logistics to overcome, plus all the outreach to junior programs, national and conti regimes, etc. If your league is not in some way coordinated with these other entities how do you know the riders are clean, the teams are sufficiently organized to participate in TdF-like events (assuming ASO would continue to want there to be flexibility in their invite list)?

JSR

· Registered
11,561 Posts
JSR said:
Even if someone tried to replace just part of that - let's say ASO's races become a "league" - there's a mountain of logistics to overcome, plus all the outreach to junior programs, national and conti regimes, etc. If your league is not in some way coordinated with these other entities how do you know the riders are clean, the teams are sufficiently organized to participate in TdF-like events (assuming ASO would continue to want there to be flexibility in their invite list)?

JSR
I've felt all along that it is kind of a shame in some respects that the serious fight against doping also coincided with the PT mess. And unfortunately the breakaways have been far more concerned with a clean sport than the UCI ever was. Otherwise, pull out of the UCI, leave WADA, keep to the old ways. However, it does appear that in the last 2 years there has been a pretty substantial change in the culture and it would be hard to go back to en masse full-stop doping.

That being said, the racing the last couple of years has become much more interesting as the sport has cleaned up. No longer teams have a squandron of domestiques capable of controlling the races (day after day in the tours), much more parity in races probably because you don't have 10 guys who have decided to dope up to the gills for this one vs. another race.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Anyone think this could lead to the development of a meaningful riders' union? The riders certainly need one, and I believe the UCI has stood in the way of that.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
harlond said:
Anyone think this could lead to the development of a meaningful riders' union? The riders certainly need one, and I believe the UCI has stood in the way of that.
I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. I had thought that the PT rules regarding insurance and minimum salary were the best thing that every happened to the riders.

I agree the riders need better representation. Unfortunately, as with most labor issues, it will take strong action by the riders themselves to make meaningful progress. Case in point, the recent multiple late-night transfers at the Giro. A tepid letter to RCS will accomplish nothing, IMO.

JSR

· Registered
202 Posts
Won't this effectively screw the junior, second-string members of the big Pro Tour teams? The guys that rely on non-GT races, the ones still sanctioned by the UCI, to stay in the professional ranks? Not everyone gets to go to the TdF, so inclusion in the ToC or TdG (for example) races is probably pretty big to them. Or am I totally mistaken?

· Registered
39 Posts
Thank God its dead!!

Perhaps now that the teams have taken a decisive step everyone can sit down and build a better mouse trap. I don't know of anyone who was happy with the way things were. I agree that it is too bad that this fight had to coincide with the fight against doping. The doping mess might have been able to be cleaned up a lot sooner. It looks like 2008 could be a breakout year for the sporting, promoting, and physical health of cycling! :thumbsup:

G

·
I can't wait till all of this political cr*p is over!

That and the day that all in the top 200 riders makes at least six figures (Euros) - these guys work so freaking hard and some only get chump change for it.

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
How will this effect suspended riders?? Most obivious is Floyd. After his 2 year suspension is up, can he sign with any team that wants hin now??

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
How will this effect suspended riders??
Good question.

Right now when you're suspended, it's the UCI that suspends you. The ProTour and its affiliated organizations of teams, riders, and race organizers have agreed to and extra two year ban after that.

If races were now to be organized outside the UCI there is nothing to stop any team from signing you, nor any race from inviting you. Of course there's nothing to stop an organizer from banning you for any reason he sees fit, whether or not he publishes his rules beforehand (see Tom Boonen TdF'08).

JSR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.