Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daughter 2) has some files from school ( sent home by the teacher for them to work on).

Created in an app called Inspiration 8 (????)

file extension is .isf

I can't find anything in OS X will open them.

Anyone have any ideas ( this is without getting into why on earth a teacher would send home files created in some wierd orphan app to begin with ............:mad: )

I have tried sourceforge and found nothing.

Unrar which usually opens anything you throw at it didn't work.

They just show up in the finder as Unix Executable Files which clearly isn't right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Touch0Gray said:
I saw that too.

I was hoping it is wrong as it seems to indicate only the app can open the files.

If every computer in the school district has MS office on it, why on earth wouldn't they just use powerpoint for something like this??

Or even better - a pencil and paper??

Thanks, though.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
magic google says you can download a 30 day trial of Inspiration for free. Mac version exists.

But wtf are schools sending stuff you can't open? Is there a free reader you can get from the school website or anything?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
the teacher is still an idiot....gee, the program requires 5 mB of ram....can you handle it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dr hoo said:
magic google says you can download a 30 day trial of Inspiration for free. Mac version exists.
?
D/L ing as we type.

dr hoo said:
But wtf are schools sending stuff you can't open? Is there a free reader you can get from the school website or anything?
Better question is why the H are they not using standard apps across the school district, and 2) why on earth wouldn't they use an app that students and parents might actually own?

Free reader - nope. but the trial will do the trick.

Thanks all, I got busy searching Source forge and never even bothered to think of looking at the mfr's own website. :blush2:

I went looking for the sledgehammer.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I saw that too.

I was hoping it is wrong as it seems to indicate only the app can open the files.

If every computer in the school district has MS office on it, why on earth wouldn't they just use powerpoint for something like this??

Or even better - a pencil and paper??

Thanks, though.
Here is what I would do in your shoes:

0) CANCEL that D/L RIGHT NOW.

1) Tell the kid to not do the assignment, and not worry about it.

2) Email the teacher back right now, saying your child cannot and will not do the assignment-as you cannot read the format without paying money to do so.

3) I'd tell the teacher to go jump in a lake, whail I'm at it

If the teacher cannot be bothered to issue files in an open format that ANYone can read, free-I would not do it. And if my kid got docked points-I'd take it to higher powers. Unless the school system will pay for a license of this proprietary software, you shouldn't have to-simply because some clown of a teacher has this favorite app you'll never use again.

Usually trial apps are crippleware, and will not do everything you need.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
maybe the REAL assignment is finding the free trial app?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
even if you LOVE the program...the school should pay for it

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
maybe the REAL assignment is finding the free trial app?
Remember-if you give in and use the crippleware, and this clown teacher discovers everyone in the class was able to do this assignment-odds are they'll do this crap again, with the same app.

Give anyone an inch and they'll go for the whole mile.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Here is what I would do in your shoes:

0) CANCEL that D/L RIGHT NOW.

1) Tell the kid to not do the assignment, and not worry about it.

2) Email the teacher back right now, saying your child cannot and will not do the assignment-as you cannot read the format without paying money to do so.

3) I'd tell the teacher to go jump in a lake, whail I'm at it

And after you go off like that, and create a bunch of bad feelings, what if you find the file was supposed to be saved as a .jpg, and the teacher made a mistake?

Or that your child saved it wrong... and it wasn't the teacher's fault at all? You know, like "Ok, everyone save your file, make sure to save it as a .jpg, then take it home to work on with your family."

Chances are the teacher is an idiot, but you probably want to confirm that before going into full on attack mode.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
'cmon DocHoo, pi$$ing the kids teachers off is fun....and really, they NEVER hold a grudge...

I told my 1st's gym teacher that skills based grading was unfair and I didn't like it, If the kid was doing their absolute best in gym, that should earn an A.

Interestingly enough none of my 4 kids EVER got an A in gym, which was reflected in their GPA for all 12 years in the school district!

If I could PROVE it was a bias, I would own his a$$, but there is no way

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
dr hoo said:
And after you go off like that, and create a bunch of bad feelings, what if you find the file was supposed to be saved as a .jpg, and the teacher made a mistake?
Maybe they forgot to export the file-but either way, that is an unreasonable burden to place on others expecting me to download some software I'll never use again to read or convert a file. Telling someone to go jump in a lake is my mandatory response to anyone who tells me to do something with an unheard of file format from an unheard of payware software.

Unless someone tells them want they want is unreasonable, odds are they'll keep doing it. "Tough Love" I think they call it. :)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Unless someone tells them want they want is unreasonable, odds are they'll keep doing it. "Tough Love" I think they call it. :)
The only teacher I ever "loved" was a Spanish teacher in college.........it wasn't that tough and it was the ONLY thing that kept me from failing the course, I didn't DARE break up with her until I was done with that class....

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
The only teacher I ever "loved" was a Spanish teacher in college.........it wasn't that tough and it was the ONLY thing that kept me from failing the course, I didn't DARE break up with her until I was done with that class....
I retract my "prior" "post. Maybe "Tough Love" is "not" what "they" call "it".

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
you know 1201, even requiring a student to have internet access to do homework is unreasonable. My kids used to have to do research on dial-up......talk about painful...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Room 1201 said:
I retract my "prior" "post. Maybe "Tough Love" is "not" what "they" call "it".
hehehehehe....no in her case it was easy lust

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Touch0Gray said:
hehehehehe....no in her case it was easy lust
I had a prof in University, a youngish french lady, Solange.

Can't remember her last name.

Was the only class I had in University where I sat in the front row.

I couldn't do the crosswords in the front row, but it was worth it. ( sigh)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts