Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got married and moved back home I've been contracting work w/ various fabricators in central Florida. My background is in structural steel detailing (making drawrings of beams and colums that form the infrastructure of complex industrial building such as power plants and mining facilities) but the company my dad works for is in the agriculture field and fabricates attachments for tractors. I've done a few "choppers", designed a "tree pruner" and a few different fire plows but this drill stem was by far the most complex mechanical product i've ever done. They just finished building it and it works, whew! The shop guys are very experience fitters/welders and I worked with them daily adjusting plates and CNC programs and such but I think they are pleased at the result. Here's some pix of the mast, rotor, and gantry I did to accept a telescoping drill used in foundation drilling primarily.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Very cool. How do orders look for dem contrapions?

First!!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
How does a Florida cracker/*******/swamp rat get a edumication like that?

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Cool deal!

So can you put a big enough drill on to make a foundation hole for a hot tub?

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
Very cool. How do orders look for dem contrapions?

First!!
they are selling them all over the world, Europe, S America and a few in N America. I've been lucky that i'm doing work related to agriculture so it has slowed down but not like the residential market. Basically, you tell us how far down you need to dig and how big a diameter hole you need and what kind of soil your gonna be digging and how much clearance you have (low power lines etc) and we custom fabricate an application. The drill stems are called Kelly bars, single and 5 element) Here's there website....

http://www.mardenind.com/

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
How does a Florida cracker/*******/swamp rat get a edumication like that?
who needs an edumacation to draw pixxors on the puter??? besides i have a construction master kalkeelater that converts metric to feetz and inches.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw, i have nothing to do w/ the design of the actual tractor, just the attachments.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tconrady said:
Cool deal!

So can you put a big enough drill on to make a foundation hole for a hot tub?
absolutely, we can drill it so deep you wont have to fill it, you'll have a spring in your own yard. k()De?

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
gutfiddle said:
btw, i have nothing to do w/ the design of the actual tractor, just the attachments.
"Hey baby, come back to my place and see my attachments. They're really big and will leave you breathless!" :p :D

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Sweet :thumbsup: .... and here I thought you only drank cheap beer and made babies :p

It looks pretty cool. I think you need Mike Rowe from dirty jobs to come down and help put one together. :thumbsup:

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chain said:
Sweet :thumbsup: .... and here I thought you only drank cheap beer and made babies :p

It looks pretty cool. I think you need Mike Rowe from dirty jobs to come down and help put one together. :thumbsup:
sometimes they drill holes in old landfills to release the methane gas, mebbe he'd like to go to that jobsite. I can't go out in the shop w/out getting irondust or grease on me and they like to drop heavy pieces of steel when im out there to watch me jump:(

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
gutfiddle said:
they like to drop heavy pieces of steel
Is there any other type of piece of steel?

Neat toy gut. :)

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
gutfiddle said:
sometimes they drill holes in old landfills to release the methane gas, mebbe he'd like to go to that jobsite. I can't go out in the shop w/out getting irondust or grease on me and they like to drop heavy pieces of steel when im out there to watch me jump:(
Now I'm picturing Mike and you both jumping. Between your two personalities, it would be quite the show.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
dayumn....that's some cool stuff!!

now when you gonna grow up and stop messin around with yer doodles :nono:

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ampastoral said:
dayumn....that's some cool stuff!!

now when you gonna grow up and stop messin around with yer doodles :nono:
are you lookin at my bum? bumlooker!

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Are you Bruce Willis?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
weltyed said:
i would expect nothing less phallic from gut.

Took the words right out of my mouth (not code).

joe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts