Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was facing a frame I had powder coated some time ago. Started to tap the threads (Idiot not thinking why the taps are kind of loose), then realized it's because it's Italian.
So either it's from the facing or I did just enough to make starting the threads not work.
So the best price I found was about $190 for 1 tap since Italian is Right Hand thread both sides.

I'm hoping to some how maybe just use the BFS-1 guide on one side against the BB and the tap on the other. Any one tried this. Or do I really need to have 2 taps ??

I guess I just extended my services to not just BSA, but can now also do retro Italian frame service.

· Registered
9,597 Posts
That may, or not, work, feel lucky?

Or you could maybe find a shop that is equipped to do it, or willing to rent out their tools.

A third option...

Write or call Ceeway and inquire about the budget BB tool, the #720141, it's a Cyclus tool and should be just fine. Even with shipping they should be cheaper than just the one cutter you are looking at.
Economy Workshop and Framebuilding Tools (ceeway.com)

It's on page 7 of this catalog.
Cyclus Tools_2015.qxd (ceeway.com)

I've got the Cyclus head tube and seat tube reamers and I've had no issues with them for my personal use. I don't know how they would hold up to heavy shop use, but for personal use they're everything that I need.

I bought the tools thru Ceeway and they were good to deal with.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ceeway Tool coming, they are out of stock for Italian, but should be available around New Year. I would have gone with the Unior over the Ceeway, but they also are out, and I don't know when they will be available because they are not as good in communication as Ceeway.
Ceeway is excellent.
They emailed me back saying sorry they missed my phone call. And even offered me the ability to split my payment since I need to now return the Park Tap which alone is almost as much at the Ceeway Taps with handles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts