Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has inevitibly been discussed before....(I searched it and got tired of sifting thru the results to find what I was looking for).

87 Ciocc, Dura Ace 7400 bottom bracket, fixed cup (ie chainring side of bike).

I'm gonna want to remove this by turning clockwise, correct? (ie its a reverse thread).

thanks!

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I know this has inevitibly been discussed before....(I searched it and got tired of sifting thru the results to find what I was looking for).

I'm gonna want to remove this by turning clockwise, correct? (ie its a reverse thread).

thanks!
Wrong - Italian BBs are normal thread on both sides. - TF

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:

thanks!
Italian threading is actually "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" both sides. An English thread BB threads in counterclockwise (lefty) and loosens clockwise (righty) on the drive side.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Italian for sure?

As everyone else has said, Italian is right-hand thread on both sides. Are you sure that it's Italian? You should be able to see the thread markings on the unit - 36x24 is Italian, 1.37x24 is English (and would be left-hand thread on the right cup).

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Its definitely Italian (36X24). I'm glad I asked before I really started pounding (I only mildly started pounding...whoops). I got confused bc I came across an older post on here where someone with an Italian BB kept having the fixed cup come loose as they pedaled so that's why I thought it was reverse. I don't know how that happened. Maybe I misread the post. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Precession

Friction_Shifter said:
I got confused bc I came across an older post on here where someone with an Italian BB kept having the fixed cup come loose as they pedaled so that's why I thought it was reverse. I don't know how that happened. Maybe I misread the post.
Right hand threaded right cups tend to unthread with pedaling due to a phenomonon called precession. Shouldn't ever be a problem if the cup is installed with sufficient torque.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts