Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
What the Hell is going on
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a vintage Bottecchia with Campy parts. I have a 126mm, 36h C-Record rear hub. Would any 6-7 speed freewheel work or is there Italian threading on the rear hub as well?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
There's a slight difference between Italian and English (Campy and Shimano, for example) freewheel threading. The difference is so slight that it doesn't matter unless you repeatedly switch English and Italian freewheels onto the same hub. French freewheels will not fit.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx

Thanks WIM,
So I can put my 7spd sachs freewheel on the C-Record with no problem. Cool beans!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Put it on. Remember the freewheel is rock-hard steel, the hub's soft aluminum. Use lots of grease and be especially careful when you engage the first thread. If you start feeling substantial resistance, immediately back the freewheel off with the remover (keep it in the freewheel or at least close at hand) and start over.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Campy hubs were available in all three threadings, in this country the English threaded ones seemed to be the most common. I doubt if Sachs ever made an Italian threaded freewheel. An English threaded Campy hub has a groove machined around the hub between the drive side flange and the shoulder that stops the freewheel. Italian and French Campy hubs do not have the groove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.