Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have horrible reoccuring itb in my right leg. It doesn't hit my knee so much as my hip and lower back. I do have a click in the back of my right knee when doing leg curls if I leg my leg extend all the way.

I have experimented with chiropractors, had cortisone shots, and now I'm under the impression that it is biomechanical and may stem from my flat feet and over pronation or a muscular imbalance.

Does anyone know of any good cheep orthodic providers? Also, a good pt in the Santa Cruz, California area? This happens to me every year once the training ramps up and I really want to figure out how to get rid of it.

Cheers,
Breton

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
The standard ITBS fix = stretching

I can't speak to orthotics, but the standard fix for ITBS is some specific stretching. The stretches are described as painful but the key to resolving the problem. Get to a PT or Google it for the specific stretches.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have flat feet... I never have had trouble with ITB but I've had other problems.

The orthotics may help you, chances are a doctor would say you should be wearing them for bicycling as they will help align your knees and clean up your pedal stroke. E.x. if your knees move in and out during the pedal stroke the orthotics may help that problem, which could in turn alleviate the ITB issue.

I can't help you on finding a place in CA to get them, I'm on the east coast. I had to get referred by a doctor, then since then I just go back to get new orthotics. They are like $150 and with that I get one free rebuild. I end up having to get them done every 2-3 years. (Running will destroy them a lot faster...)

Very worth it, and not expensive IMO compared to what a lot of bike stuff costs.

I can't believe you let someone shoot you up with cortisone before experimenting with all possible biomechanical issues.

Ben

·
Registered
268 Posts
For sports orthotics go see this guy. He's famous amongst his colleagues.

http://www.straws.com/sax4feet.htm

bmveach said:
Hi All,

I have horrible reoccuring itb in my right leg. It doesn't hit my knee so much as my hip and lower back. I do have a click in the back of my right knee when doing leg curls if I leg my leg extend all the way.

I have experimented with chiropractors, had cortisone shots, and now I'm under the impression that it is biomechanical and may stem from my flat feet and over pronation or a muscular imbalance.

Does anyone know of any good cheep orthodic providers? Also, a good pt in the Santa Cruz, California area? This happens to me every year once the training ramps up and I really want to figure out how to get rid of it.

Cheers,
Breton

·
Registered
10 Posts
certainly possible

It is possible that your itb is flared up and overly tight as a result of your biomechanics. A lot depends on the type of flat feet that you have - rigid or flexible. if your arch looks normal and then flattens out as you bear weight, that is flexible. it will help to strengthen certain muscles that help support your arch (post. tibial muscle for one). This can cause malrotation of your lower leg and give you knock-knees, causing more strain on the lateral (outside) part of your upper leg muscles and ITB. Stretching your itb is a good idea either way but orthotics can certainly help a lot of people. Also get your bike setup properly because 0.5 cm can make a lot of difference at 90rpm for 3-4 hours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cleat position

Check your cleats. I pronate pretty badly and need to have my cleats set up so my ankle can nearly brush the crank. I had a cleat slip this weekend at a race and it made me supponate(sp) on one foot. After about 20mi of pedaling with a feild that waaay outclassed me I had to stop. My IT was absolutly screaming, I had to stop and stretch just so I could walk back to the cars. What kind of pedals are you running, you may need more float. And your seat hight/position can hurt the IT also. Good luck, I'm getting different pedals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts