Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i'm hooked on the fixed thing, at the moment. i currently have a jamie roy frame, and after riding a friends conversion that has a way steeper steering set up, i would really like to try a new frame. while the JR is nice in a road bike handling sort of way, i want responsive. so here's the delima. for starters, i don't wanna wait for four months and drop a grand on a custom. so i'm trying to find a stock frame.

what i want is someting that will take fatty tires like 28's which may not be possible on a track frame. soma comes close according to the guy's at merry cycles. i'd go smaller tire wise if i have to.

i was wondering if the surly steamroller is a quick feeling bike. it's steeper than what i have up front, but not quite track steep, unless the fork rake is adjusted for a track feel.

my plan is to do a flat bar low geared trialsy set up for doinking around town and going up and down the steep hills around here. maybe even use a double with a rock ring on the outer for trying to hop up on walls and stuff.

suggestions? what else is out there. should i go track or not? i've never even seen a track frame let alone ride one, so i've got no idea how they really handle, but i'm guessing it would be fun.

i love this fixie thing. i'm into buying building and selling, so this gets me my fix (pun intended) without dropping the kind of cash i used to on nice road and mtb builds.

·
Registered
202 Posts
olds_cool said:
what i want is someting that will take fatty tires like 28's which may not be possible on a track frame.
My steamroller has Michelin Jet 'cross tires 700 x 30, with room to spare.

olds_cool said:
i was wondering if the surly steamroller is a quick feeling bike. it's steeper than what i have up front, but not quite track steep, unless the fork rake is adjusted for a track feel.
My point of comparison is between a Bianchi Pista and the Steamroller; I own both -- or at least I used to until I got the Surly and sold the Bianchi. The Pista was quicker-steering, no doubt about it, but the Steamer is no road bike. To me, it's exactly a happy medium between road and track. The Surly advantage is in the comfort; while the Pista pitched me over the bars in a more aero position, I felt hammered after a couple of hours. The Surly is, quite literally, all-day comfortable, and I don't feel that I've sacrificed any sharpness in the handling - it's less twitchy, but still quicker-steering than my road bike (which I also sold after getting hooked on fixies).

I have no idea if it would suit the purposes you have in mind; I run a 47 x 18 and use it for everything - commuting, road rides, and gravel trails. But it's built like a tank so I can't imagine you'd have any trouble.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts