Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assemling the stem to handlebar clamp require a toque wrench. Could anyone advise whether or not this torque value can be exceeded using a standard hand held 2" allen key.

Kind reghards :eek:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Rule of thumb

noam said:
Assemling the stem to handlebar clamp require a toque wrench. Could anyone advise whether or not this torque value can be exceeded using a standard hand held 2" allen key.
As a general rule of thumb, tighten the bolts using a short allen, like the one ITM supplies with the stem, a little at at time working back and forth between them. Stop tightening when the bolts feel medium tight; by this I mean that the bolts feel nice and snug but there is still room to tighten more

To answer your question, if using the allen ITM supplies, my guess is that you are not likely to over torque because the allen so short - of course if you really try...

Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Tighten bolts uniformly until the key slightly begins to flex without excessive force. That should get you into the ballpark. For reference 8nm torque is about 9lbs of pressure/weight on the end of a 2" allen key.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Clean it up to prevent bar slip

I used the ITM Millennium combo for 3 years, and when I first installed them I had bar slippage when I hit a big bump while on the hoods. I think I was scared to over-tighten the bolts. To be safe, be sure to do the following: 1) Clean the stem contact area and cap contact area, as well as the bar clamp area free of grease - I used isopropyl alcohol. 2) Lube the stem cap bolts, on the threads and on both sides of the washer at the bolt head. This will help prevent any galling in the threads and allow the bolts to be snugged up.

FWIW, I had the bars on and off several times over 3 seasons for travel purposes and I had no problems. I never used a torque wrench, just a 4" long 4mm allen wrench (Bondhus) and my "feel".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts