Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My youngest son has his 3rd annivarsary Clean & Sober tonight.

From the depths of suicidal and reaching out for help to a genuine, caring, open, growing, struggling adult....it's been like watching a flower bloom. He has had a path that I wouldn't have chosen, but he sure is a reminder to me, every day, that I can't judge someone else's path....or predict how it is going to "grow" them.

I couldn't be more proud of him....and grateful that he's in my life.

Just busting with pride and had to share.

Thanks for listening.

Hug the one's you love.

Len

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Wow...

Good for you Dawg, good for him.

It's good to hear these things... makes me kind of fear for when my boy grows up, and when my yet unborn little girl starts dating....

But in the same sense, I look forward to watching it play out. I just hope not to be the villian.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Len J said:
My youngest son has his 3rd annivarsary Clean & Sober tonight.

From the depths of suicidal and reaching out for help to a genuine, caring, open, growing, struggling adult....it's been like watching a flower bloom. He has had a path that I wouldn't have chosen, but he sure is a reminder to me, every day, that I can't judge someone else's path....or predict how it is going to "grow" them.

I couldn't be more proud of him....and grateful that he's in my life.

Just busting with pride and had to share.

Thanks for listening.

Hug the one's you love.

Len
how did he do it?

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Compassion is the key Len, and you have a lot to give. Your son is very fortunate to have you as a father. You have every right to beam with pride. I just hope that my sons end being good people too.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd give you the cliche'......

haiku d'etat said:
how did he do it?
"one day at a time", but I don't think that's what you're asking (although it is true).

After he dried himself out, he:

1.) Found a 12 step home group
2.) Got a sponsor
3.) Goes to meetings
4.) Activly working the steps & his program

He's surrounded himself with caring, supportive, people that have been there, and he's not afraid to be human.

Mainly, he's consciously decided that his sobriety is one thing he can control that will make his like better.

He did it, because the alternive wasn't an option to him.....he reached out to find something that worked for him..........

Mostly he started with one small step..the first step...(We admitted we were powerless over our addiction - that our lives had become unmanageable ) and went from there.

More info
http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/en_is_aa_for_you.cfm?PageID=14

I pointed him in a direction, but he had to want it. He told me that the pain he was in was worse than the fear of recovery.

He inspires me.

Len

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Congrats Len

so glad he made it over the hump. now it's just eternal vigilence. awesome.

funny and since this is the first day of drizzle in weeks of 70 degree temp I was thinking it wasn't that great of a day. see, goes to show ya.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
how did he do it?
The 12 step program works for many and I have respect for those who can make it work.

Alternatives:

Ozrecover.net

Smartrecovery.org

I spend as much time there as I do at NCD... oh, i forgot, "the lounge" :confused:

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is winning......

colker1 said:
congratulations: you both won over the dark side. GOLD.
I just got my son back.

Len

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Good for both of you! I've lost close family members to alcohol and suicide. It's good to hear of someone pulling out of that downward spiral.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Great to hear, Len. It is a good day.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I don't think it is possible to rear a child who doesn't at some point veer in the wrong direction. Sounds like you were there when needed so congrats to both!

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Wonderful Len! Tell him Happy Birthday from me!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Glad to hear it.

As you know, my family has a significant history of alcoholism. I don't have any reason to suspect that it has been passed on to my teenaged daughters. But, if is one of the things I fear most. My father never was able to stay away from alcohol for long and it was the most probable cause of his death at 59 (the official cause was heart disease). Your son has not only saved his own life, but he has saved his family from heartache that he probably can't imagine. My hat goes off to him and to those who have helped him.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
That's

Len J said:
I just got my son back.

Len

awesome Len. You know after working nights on end in the ER and confronting the worst of humanity, and starting to lose faith in that all important and encompassing term of healing. Hearing a story like this inspires me, it keeps me going. Thank you for sharing, and congrats to both of you.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a family disease........

and I knew my Kids were at risk.......(it's rampant in my Family of origin).....so when we intervened with my brother, I got my kids involved in his program, had them attand many of the family programs at the Rehab etc........My ex was livid, but 8 years later, I think that was one of the reasons that he was able to reach out for help...because he knew it was there.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Len

·
It's a Sledgehammer
535 Posts
I'd say that's better than good. Congrats to your son and to you as well. No one makes the journey alone. Be proud times 2

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Len J said:
and I knew my Kids were at risk.......(it's rampant in my Family of origin).....so when we intervened with my brother, I got my kids involved in his program, had them attand many of the family programs at the Rehab etc........My ex was livid, but 8 years later, I think that was one of the reasons that he was able to reach out for help...because he knew it was there.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Len
It seems that he inherited some of your good sense as well, anyone can stray from the path but to get back on it you need more than an example, you need character. I'm glad he made it, it's good when people come back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts