Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there any other beginners out there like me who are reluctant to plunk down money on a good pair of shorts - despite all of the posts here about the importance of good shorts as a key to saddle comfort - let me give you my two cents. Buy good shorts!!! After buying a few pairs of $30 shorts and switching saddles, I was beginning to believe my butt would hurt for ever. But I kept reading that good shorts are the key. Good shorts - at least based on what I've read (I'm sure there are many opinions) - are those that start at a minimum of $100 and go up from there. Well, I finally found a pair of $100 shorts on sale for $50 and they are UNBELIEVABLE. Just finished my first 30 mile ride with them and the difference is incrediable. I assume you might even have a better experience with $150-200 shorts (on sale perhaps for $75-100) so choose wisely and make the investment. Of course, fit is important and these were Italian (Demarchi) so I actually bought the wrong size at first. Trying them on at a LBS or trial and error online are the options. Hope this helps others.

· Registered
134 Posts
I couldn't agree more. my first pair of shorts were $45 canari's. they were definitely $45 shorts. my ride was so uncomfortable i couldn't ride very long and dint feel like riding at all some days. Two weeks ago i bought a pair of the Pearl Izumi P.R.O. race shorts for $95. The improvement in comfort was great. i love these things. you certainly get your moneys worth. don't skimp on shorts or bibs. spend the money, you wont regret it.

· Registered
151 Posts
It's amazing how hard it is to convince people of this. There are 5 contact points on a bike, spend as much as you can afford on good quality shorts, gloves and shoes. You will not be disapointed.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Good brands? There are plenty. Right now I wear Demarchi and Castelli but even Performance make a good set of shorts and bibs. If you are buying online, most if the time the price of the short does correlate with the quality of the shorts. Does not mean they will fit you or that you will like that chamois from that company but it will be a well made garment. I know everyone gets tired of hearing this but your LBS IS the place to go when you are just starting out. Make sure the person you are talking to actually rides and pick there brain, try on a few pair. Buy one or 2 and see what the return policy is. And as I have said before once you found a set you like, get a spare or 2 because the company will probably discontinue that line.

· Registered
691 Posts
I wore bike shorts for the first time this past weekend. I been riding for about 6 months. I have the 30.00 kind and I found that they helped. I was not that unconfortable without them so any improvement was welcome. I still hate the idea of wearing a diaper... Also, after my 30 mile ride I am ready for a few beers at my local bar. I few young girls were looking at me like, "what is up with that dude"..

I'm still not ready to drop 100 on a good pair... Think I am going to upgrade my pedals first.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
This thread needs work.

Shorts are what they are. The longer you ride, the more imperative the shorts become. I have found certain brands that work better for me, and have also found that midrange priced shorts are very effective for the typical 1-2 hour ride, all things equal. The lower priced ones are rarely good and even suck on trainer rides.

That being said... beginners are beginners, and butt pain is one of the most common detractors regarding cycling and one of the main reasons that cycling doesn't stick with many. I tell people when getting started to expect it for a minimum of one month riding every other day, or two months if riding less. Those sit bones take a while to adapt. But, they will adapt... even to saddles with little or no padding (think SLRs).

That being said, there are a large number of differences in shorts. Believe it or not there are different types of fit, padding, seams, material, density, wicking, and support... and so... all shorts are not created equal. I would say if you find a brand that fits you and makes you comfortable in the saddle... stick with it.

I have bad thoughts about the lower price level performance, blackbottom, and pearl izumi shorts.... but conversely have had decent results with their "higher" priced shorts... but still moderate in the grand scheme of things (think ~$80ish Ultrasensor,etc).

I truly believe that with shorts you get what you pay for. As long as you don't go overboard, I think it is a very valid expendature to not go cheap on.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
kinda...

jupiterrn said:
ummm, isn't that what I said?:D
You pimped Demarchi and Castelli, I said the cheap performance and blackbottom sucked.

You said go to the LBS. I said for most people buy at midpoint and said that the Microsensors were a decent deal.

So.... technically no, but your heart was in the right place.

We were both in the ballpark. I will say however, that I was never impressed with the one pair of y-fusos that I had that never ever felt right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.