Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My regular fitness ride is a mountain road out and back of 20 miles. It includes 1200+ plus of climb - generally rolling except for some steep climbs when the road descends to a river and then back up again on the other side. The road surface is generally rough; pebbly and now starting to break up pretty good. It was a cheap paving job to begin with over what had been a gravel road not many years ago.

I've been riding my rides on my several bikes successively the past few days to see which really is the fastest.

Yesterday I rode my Cannondale CAAD4. It's really a tri bike that I have converted over to a road ride. It's a mix of 105 and Ultegra parts and some nice Rolf Vector Comp wheels. I have it set up as a double. The bike looks and feels fast. You feel like you're really flying and the frames transmits the feel of the road directly to the rider, adding to the "fast" sensation. One downside of the stiff equation is that the bike seems to "skate" in the corners of the fast, steep, bumpy, switchback downhills. My time was 1 hour 24 min.

Today I rode my 91 Paramount equipped with full Campy Record 8 speed and a triple. This bike is and feels heavier than the Cannondale. It's handling is slower, but straight and stable as an arrow. You can definitely feel more vertical flex in the frame which provides a sense of isolation from the roughness of the road. Compared to the Cannondale, the Paramount feels ponderous and slow. But it sure is a comfortable ride.
During the climb up the switchback I unshipped my chain and had to get off the bike to place it back on the chainwheel. I lost about 30 seconds there. Even so, my time was 1 hour 23+ minutes, a full minute faster than the Cannondale.

I might add that weather conditions was just about identical the two days.

I guess I'll break out the Gunner tomorrow.

Took the Gunnar Roadie out on the course today. It rides responsively and feels light like the Cannondale with the plush rear end of the Paramount. You don't really notice the rough road. Time - 1 hour 22 minutes. I'm improving.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
You are right, it is the motor. For me, a bit of plushness and that stable feeling make it easier to concentrate on just going faster. I can do without the busy, fast feeling ride- especially for any longer cruise. Tho I will say the responsive feeling of some bikes makes it easier to endure long climbs. When you stand up on the pedals and it feels like it's actually going somewhere, it is more rewarding mentally thus making it easier to go faster...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I traded off the Cannondale and another old Cannondale I had on a De Rosa Giro d'Italia, a really responsive steel bike. I took it out today with the group and rode about 36 miles. It's a pretty hot but smooth bike which will be interesting to time on my little route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts