Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a long time coming...

But I'm finally done with the XO1 cross project. I got a great deal on a 2001 XO1 from RBR classifieds and pieced it together with some parts I had from my frankencross bike, a crank from my beater commuter that I got rid of and a few new tidbits (Candy SL pedals, Paul's Thumbies, Suntour XC Pro canti's, and Salsa short and shallow bar and Salsa chain guard). As you see it, 21 lbs. Not super light, but neither am I :cryin:

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More...

'Friggin uploading problems...and double pic post. I need another beer.....:D

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 1st time setting up canti's. Cable joining the 2 sides too loose? If you think of it, let me know. All recommendations welcome.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. Optical illusion. The bike was sitting sligfhtly at an angle.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tufo tubular clinchers, C28 Diamonds. I haven't tried them out really yet, but they're supposed to be good in dry conditions. We'll see....

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Kram59 said:
Tufo tubular clinchers, C28 Diamonds. I haven't tried them out really yet, but they're supposed to be good in dry conditions. We'll see....

Let me know how they work out - I don't have a cross bike yet, but seeing yours makes me want one even more. Congratulations - that is one sweet looking bike!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I won'tbe using them until probably Aug/sept. I have ritchey speedmaxes that I'll use for traininhg rides on it as well as a pr of Kenda's for the mud.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I think the issue is that you've got the cable hanger too high for that particular brand of brake. IIRC you want a 90degree angle when they're pulled in completely, not when they're open.

I remember setting my XC Pros up so the straddle wire was just about at the same spot the frame is... ie: at the bottom of the fork crown and at the bottom of the brake bridge in the back. Its been awhile since I've set em up, so anyone else??

I know my Mafacs are set LOTS higher than what you've got, but they're a different style of brake.

HTH,

M

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. I just read the directions:eek::rolleyes: . Cable is lower now.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Kram59 said:
Yep. I just read the directions:eek::rolleyes: . Cable is lower now.
You can fine tune the feel of the old cantis by where you run the straddle. Play with em some and see where you like it.

Lower = more power, less feel
Higher = less power, more feel (IIRC!!)

Glad you got your new bike up and running. Where's the first ride report?

M

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It will be forthcoming this weekend. After I do my ballz to the wallz training ride with the local racers I'm going to take it out on some paths at a nearby State park. It'll be with my kids but at least I'll get a feel for it. I've taken it on the road while setting it up and I like the way it feels so far....

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. A brief ride report.

I took it out for it's maiden voyage yesterday on some paths and gravel roads as well as paved roads near my house (site of the Lower Allen Cross Classic). It was really stable blasting over the gravel and turns in quickly. A lot quicker than the Gitane frankenbike :). Climbs well and the BB seems nice and stiff, esp coupled with the D/A crank. It will take me a while to get used to clipping into the candies but I was getting the hang of it after a while. All in all, I'm quite happy with it. Had to mess with the thumbies but they are OK now. The Suntour cantis work well and I can lock both tires up if I have to with moderate pressure on the hoods; they seem to have good modulation. Now I just have to get the motor in racing shape:eek:

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Came with the bike. The front hanger doesn't match it, but oh well... I DO like the bars. Only thing is I have to really put the thumbies in close to the clamp since the bar tapers and the thumbies won't stay in place unless they're in that tight. I may try to use some shims or something so I can get them a little farther away.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. When I got home from work last night it bothered me about the placement of my thumbie shifter. A smal slice of rubber and a piece of old innertube, and they're in the perfect spot. Now I'm happy:D

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Overdrive said:
Where'd you score that integrated seatpost/rear brake cable clamp? A couple years ago I hunted all over trying to find one...

Nice set up, thumbie for the rear...great bars.
You can do something similar with a v-brake noodle and a regular cable hangar. Remind me to take pics.

M

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kram59 said:
Ok. When I got home from work last night it bothered me about the placement of my thumbie shifter. A smal slice of rubber and a piece of old innertube, and they're in the perfect spot. Now I'm happy:D
The bike looks nice. I'm not sure I would like that shifter position though for cross racing since I don't spend a lot of time on the bar tops. If you are good at anticipating gear shifts well in advance, or if you feel comfortable pedalling at a wide range of candences like a singlespeed mountain biker, that thumbie will probably work for you. I'm just trying to picture how you would rapidly or safely shift if you were hammering in the drops over bumpy terrain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.