Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The peak of his career is a decade ago. How do you remember Pantani? What have you read and what do you believe?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pantani was a champion within the context of his time (as one french or italian soccer manager described Armstrong after the retroactive L' Equipe '99 EPO positive drama ) and that does not diminish how great he was to watch. He was the classic climber/athlete/artist with the pride and fragile ego that often accompanies said personality (like "Chava" Jimenez). Maybe in daily dealings he was a total drag and arsehole (as many talented folks may be) but that does not diminish my enjoyment of watching him race nor does it tarnish his achievements. He was doing nothing differently than any other top racer at that time in terms of his "program" or "preperation" but he was hung out to dry and made the proverbial "example of". My opinion? Very, very bad timing: He was caught with his hand in the cookie jar during one of the seemingly cyclical waves of anti-doping purges. I still dig the guy. Period...

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Someday, a long time from now, I hope to get the chance to see Marco climb in the clouds, free from allegations, free from his personal struggles, free to climb like I watched him climb in his glory.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
he was a joy to watch

he was doped to the gills
so was most everybody else
he was a joy to watch

and I'm a classics guy

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also am a Pantani junkie. Despite all his faults, he was simply a victim of the system like everyone else, pushed by the sponsors to win at whatever cost. His unmatched accelerations and the ability to put the hammer down and keep it there while everyone melted off his rear wheel was a joy to watch. My only regret is not getting to see him ride past me, and to feel myself a part of the tifosi as I too screamed in his ear.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
I was living in Italy in 93-94 when he captured the nation with his stage wins in the Giro and I will be riding the GF Marco Pantani next summer. Always liked to watch him ride

But after reading the Death of Marco Pantani it is pretty clear he was totally nuts, serious mental case

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
bigpinkt

if you do a psychological profile on all the great climbers, they mostly are nuts

think about it, they enjoy riding up hill

my guess is the exertion provides some sort of biochemical relief to their suffering minds

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
+1 to Big

Yeah, Rendell's book says it all. He was the best despite tons of bad luck with the truck.

Was he cheating? For sure. So was everyone else.

Not only was he the dominant climber of his short age-but he did it with panache in every way. When I am on the trainer, I choose a race video with him in it first. Even if he didn't win, everyone knew where he was.

He is climbing in heaven today and the peleton is far behind.:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Doped - whatever, he seemed to be able to get so far into the pain box that he came out the other side and truly relished it. It was a beautiful thing to watch. Il Pirata is my climbing mantra. I wish I could climb like that just once.

Dave

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Still my favorite rider ever. Looking at the list of climbers who later committed suicide it almost concerns me that I feel such an affinity but he was, and remains, such a joy to watch on a climb.

I will always wonder what could have been in 1999 which was shaping up to be even better than 1998 for him. In 2000 riding undertrained and on even more coke than EPO he could still pull out some great rides.

If anyone has a small version of the blue jersey like on the Alpe let me know. A long sleeve 1998 vintage is missing in my collection too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.