Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
But now it's Kazakhstan versus France. Kazakhstan is a huge oil supplier for Europe and they can pretty much make it tough on French assets and investments.

From cyclingnews.com:

The team may be counting on outside help in its bid to participate. According to the International Herald Tribune, Kazakh rider Kashechkin, told L'Equipe that the president of Kazakhstan would be protesting the proposed exclusion to French President Jacques Chirac.

"This is going to become an affair of state," Kashechkin warned, citing no sources, and added. "There are some important French investments in our country," according to the IHT.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ashpelham said:
Boy, people from Kazahkstan sure love K's and Z's.
The unfortunate spectators in this case are the cyclists from Kazahkstan--including Vinokourov. They are the ones feeling the repercussions of this scandal even though they are the newcomers to the table.

SIde Note: I was recently flamed when I misspelled Kazahkstan.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Squeegy200 said:
The unfortunate spectators in this case are the cyclists from Kazahkstan--including Vinokourov. They are the ones feeling the repercussions of this scandal even though they are the newcomers to the table.

SIde Note: I was recently flamed when I misspelled Kazahkstan.
And you did it again, twice! :)

(k is before h).

it is rather unfortunate. Especially for Vino who might retire soon, and who put his year on hold so he can do well at TdF. And now that the country's businesses put some money together when Liberty jumped the ship, I think they have every right to expect to be in the Tour. I think they should go after riders who they have evidence against, not entire teams. I never heard Vino's name mentioned. I heard Ullrich's name and Basso's name and Sevilla's name. But those three will be riding, and no Vino? Somehow doesn't seem fair. But admittedly, I am a huge Vino fan. You should be, too.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I'm a Vino fan, however I can see how the ASO doesn't want to take chances. Sucks to be him. (Though I think he would be a non contender for GC even if he rode).
If by "GC" you mean top finish, I agree. If by "GC" you mean podium, he has as much shot as anyone else (besided Ulle and Basso who are clear favorites). He is a shoe-in for top 10.

Regardless, aside from Ulle or Basso bailing out, no other rider's absence would be as upsetting to me as Vino. It's not all about the final result, it's about the path to get there. Which is why we watch the entire tour, not the final recap after it's over. Vino is by far the most aggressive rider in the past decade. He will attack on the final sprints, go on solo breakaways, attack in the climbs, then get caught, recover and go again. This is the spirit you just gotta root for. He is CRAZY! And I love it! I am Vino! My teammate is Vino! We are all Vino inside! Attack, attack, attack!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.